no emailaddress, firstname, lastname requirement

ra.keizer

26 May, 2012 03:37 PM

I'm using a OAuth mechanism for authenticating users because of it's low profile.
I would like to create a cheddargetter customer right after first login, but I don't want to ask the user for all details.

Is there any possibility to remove the requirement for emailaddress, firstname and lastname.
I don't see why this would be necessary for signing up a free plan.

I could of course use a decoy emailaddress, firstname and lastname, but I doubt if the system will accept duplicate emailaddresses?

1. 1 Posted by Alex on 27 May, 2012 09:41 AM

System will allow duplicate email addresses (I'm doing it currently), I believe the 'code' is the only intended unique constraint.

2. 2 Posted by ra.keizer on 27 May, 2012 06:35 PM

That would be great, although the documentation states otherwise.
    I'll try creating a customer without the 'requirements'.
    Thanks Alex.

3. 3 Posted by ra.keizer on 28 May, 2012 09:21 AM

I did the tests and was unable to create a new customer without all 4 requirements.
    (code, emailaddress, firstname and lastname). In all cases I received a 412 - A value is required

There seem to be no issues creating users with duplicate emailaddresses.

So, I'm heading for the fake emailaddress, I guess.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Marc Guyer on 29 May, 2012 02:12 PM

You could do that. Email address is not required to be unique.

If you don't have their name/email address/etc, consider not adding them to CG. Off the top of my head, I don't see any benefit to having them in CG unless you're using tracked items to limit usage. It doesn't appear as though you're doing that. Of course, I don't know your business so I might be missing it. Is there some value you're looking to get out of having these empty accounts in CG?

5. 5 Posted by ra.keizer on 29 May, 2012 02:27 PM

I want to fill these parameters at the moment it's really needed, because I don't want to bug my users with unnecessary forms.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Marc Guyer on 29 May, 2012 02:32 PM

RIght, I understand. I suppose you're having customers signup for the free plan via the hosted pages. If you don't want their name/email, then you could simply not add them to CG. In other words, for new signups, just don't direct them to the hosted create page at all.

7. 7 Posted by ra.keizer on 29 May, 2012 03:21 PM

I am creating the free plans using the API, immediately after first login, but when I ommit firstName and/or lastName it's giving me an error, so I am not sure what you mean.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Marc Guyer on 29 May, 2012 04:05 PM

What I mean is don't add those customers to CG. Only add customers to CG when they become a paying customer.

Of course, you're welcome to add them with dummy first/last/email.

9. 9 Posted by ra.keizer on 29 May, 2012 04:20 PM

That of course is a good solution, but I like the idea of all users having a customer account.

Thanks for the fast replies.

10. ra.keizer closed this discussion on 29 May, 2012 04:20 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM