External Payment

Jaime Wong

22 Apr, 2018 12:57 AM

Hello,

I currently have an account marked as "External payment".
https://cheddargetter.com/admin/customers/get/id/061b2475-417d-11e7...

Through our API, we will insert a charge next month. On the "next invoice" date, since there is no credit card, will the account automatically cancel?

1. 1 Posted by Jaime Wong on 23 Apr, 2018 12:24 PM

Hello,

I just answered my question by testing this ourselves (I added a dummy charge, set the next invoice = tomorrow, and payment = external).

However, I am now trying to change the Payment Method = None, so that it does not automatically invoice as "external", but instead, it cancels, and reminds the client to enter his/her credit card. However, it doesn't seem to work. See video here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhd7q34f3kch8ga/CG%20Change%20Payment%20M...

Alternatively, would you be able to change the plan for some of my cancelled accounts? (re: ticket #1364). What I am really trying to do is the following:
    - I have some accounts with flat fee charge of $15/month. I had canceled those accounts. - I now want to change the plan to Self Service, but I can't do it.. - so I tried changing it to "External Method payment", set the invoice to today, and then changing the plan from $15/month to Self Service (that is working).. but now I am stuck with the payment method = external!

Help!

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Meghan Turner on 23 Apr, 2018 03:16 PM

Hi Jaime,

Ok, just to summarize and make sure I'm understanding what you're trying to do, basically you want the customer to get an email notification that prompts them to update their card information when their next invoice becomes due. With your current configuration, the customer has to have a failed payment in order to receive that notification.

When a customer is on an external method, Cheddar assumes that the customer is paying via a source that isn't connected to Cheddar (direct deposit, cash, etc) and automatically marks all those customers invoices as paid, so as you've noticed, that won't trigger the 'update payment method' email.

Once a customer has a payment method in Cheddar, that payment method can only be replaced with another payment method (not set to none). The only way to remove the external payment method would be to change it to a credit card or PayPal, which doesn't really help you much in this situation.

In order to have an email notification sent to the customer at this point, I think what you might want to do here is enable the Cancel for Custom Reason notification type (Cheddar dashboard>Configuration>customer communications) and use this to prompt customers who you've manually canceled to re-enter their card information.

This email notification is triggered by customers canceling their own accounts or other manual cancellation, so what I'd suggest you do here is enable the email notification, ensure it has the content you'd like present to customers canceled manually (i.e. a link to where they can update their payment information), then manually cancel the customers when you're ready. They should receive the email as soon as you've canceled their account.

Does that sound like it will work for you, Jaime? Happy to keep brainstorming solutions if I'm not understanding what you're trying to do.

Meghan

3. 3 Posted by Jaime Wong on 21 Nov, 2018 02:22 PM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: Visa and Amex

Hello,

I just enabled Visa/MC debit and AMEX with both Bambora and Elavon. They confirmed is all good.

1. Is there a way for you to test that Visa/MC debit + AMEX will work?. I don't have those cards, so I don't have a way to test... I hate to announce it to my customers, but for some reason, it won't work?

2. If the above item is good, is it possible to add AMEX and Visa/MC debit as the "cards accepted"?.. see screenshot.

4. Meghan Turner closed this discussion on 21 Nov, 2018 05:55 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM