New Product?

Andrew Wallace

05 Dec, 2017 04:05 AM

Hello,
I need to sign-up some customers for an add-on subscription service. Should this be a new product? Does the credit card and customer informations span across products?

Basically, we have our main product that is available via an Annual or Monthly Subscription. I need to add an additional monthly charge to some customers.

What do you recommend?

Thank you,
Andy

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 06 Dec, 2017 03:49 PM

Hi Andy,

I need to sign-up some customers for an add-on subscription service. Should this be a new product? Does the credit card and customer information span across products?

Generally, you only need to create a new product if you wanted to keep the reporting and customer data for your new service separate from your original product or are using a different currency to charge for this service. For example, if this add-on subscription service is part of a different business entity than your other subscriptions and you want Cheddar's analytics reports to show you revenue for each product separately, then you might consider adding another product. Cheddar products are intentionally unrelated to one another, so your customer data would not be automatically transferred to the new product.

As an alternative, it sounds like you might be able to use a tracked item or one-time invoice to assess this additional monthly fee rather than creating a new product. Check out this example of using tracked items for plan add-ons to see how this works in practice.

A tracked item would work well for customers subscribed to plans billed on a monthly frequency. However, if you also need to charge customers subscribed to plans that bill annually an additional monthly fee, we'll need to think of another solution. Tracked items bill at the same frequency as the pricing plan the customer is subscribed to, so if a customer is subscribed to an annual plan, the tracked items on that plan are billed annually as well.

If you'd like to charge the customer monthly for an add-on, but bill their subscription fee annually, you can use a one-time invoice. You could keep the customer on an annual plan and issue a monthly one-time invoice, but it might be easier to put the customers on a pricing plan that bills the add-on fee monthly and use a one-time invoice for the annual fee.

One-time invoices are used for charging a single invoice to a customer on demand. As such, they don't have recurring billing schedules, so you would need to either build logic into your application to issue a one-time invoice on a certain date for a particular customer via the API or create a notification for yourself if you want to create and run the one-time invoice manually in your Cheddar product account.

Hope this is helpful, Andy, but please let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Meghan

2. 2 Posted by Andrew Wallace on 15 Dec, 2017 10:30 PM

Thank you Meghan,

I have what we need to know.

Best Regards,
    Andy

3. Meghan Turner closed this discussion on 18 Dec, 2017 02:49 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac