Promotion Code on Hosted Page

jgiasson

26 Jul, 2012 05:18 PM

Hi,

I would like to use the Promotions to allow some sponsored users to get a plan for free if they enter the code. I am using a CG hosted page for them to sign up for a plan. When I go to the plan that I set the promotion for, there is no Promo code field. Is this available on the hosted page or only through the API? Your knowledge base only discusses how to set it up and use it in the API. It does not discuss how it is used on cheddargetter sign up. Please advise.

Jeff

1. 1 Posted by adam on 26 Jul, 2012 07:19 PM

Hi Jeff,

You are correct, Promotions are only available via the API. Our hosted payment pages are designed to be a super-simplified option for non-developers to start collecting payments. For the most part, advanced CheddarGetter features are only available via the API.

Adam

2. 2 Posted by jgiasson on 26 Jul, 2012 07:24 PM

So if I have a user enter a promotion code on my page first and pass it when I create the user, will the hosted plan selection page allow the customer to get the specified plan for that promotion at the promotion discount? or would I have to credit the user when I create them?

3. 3 Posted by adam on 06 Aug, 2012 06:08 PM

You would need to do it all via the API, the Hosted Pages have no ties with the Promotions system yet. This is on our to-do list, but we want to make it work correctly for everyone so we are working out the best way to implement them. There are a few background details we need to get running before we can do that project.

4. adam closed this discussion on 06 Aug, 2012 06:08 PM.

5. jgiasson re-opened this discussion on 07 Aug, 2012 05:54 PM

6. 4 Posted by jgiasson on 07 Aug, 2012 05:54 PM

We are preparing to launch our site in the next couple of weeks and are using the hosting page to avoid PCI Compliance regulations and extra coding. The timeline of this feature is critical for us in moving forward. Can you give me a time estimate or date for when this feature will be implemented?

7. 5 Posted by adam on 08 Aug, 2012 07:14 PM

Hi Jeff, I'm waiting to hear back for an ETA on this, will let you know as soon as I do.

8. 6 Posted by jgiasson on 08 Aug, 2012 08:01 PM

Thank you Adam, In the meantime we have come up with a temporary solution. We will create a customer/apply a promotion via the API to a paid plan with a 100% discount without requiring billing information. We will use the promo code from our form to create a customer with the API. Then we will skip the hosted page and send them to our app. We came across an issue that seems to be a bug in cheddargetter API.

Our promo code gives a 100% discount to one of our paid plans. The user will not have to enter any billing information. If this is used, we create a customer and assign them to that plan. The API says that it will allow us to create a customer on a paid plan IF we deselect the option to "Require payment method on paid subscriptions". So we deselected this but it still requires billing information. This seems like the bug. Then we delayed the billing of this plan by one day so it wouldnt need to bill right away. This finally worked and let us sign up, but we got an email that said we would be billed tomorrow. It did not indicate to us (as the customer) that the billing would have a 100% discount. I am afraid that CG will run the bad cc and error out tomorrow before it applies the discount. Do you know what will happen in this case?

What should we be doing differently to create a customer/apply a promotion code to a paid plan with a 100% discount without requiring billing information.

9. 7 Posted by adam on 09 Aug, 2012 04:18 PM

Hi there,

You are correct that you need to delay the billing date to be sometime past "immediate" in order to not require a payment method (otherwise they could sign up for a paid plan but not pay).

The Hosted Pages don't know anything about Promotions yet. That project began yesterday and should be finished within two weeks.

You can change your email templates to include information about your promotions here:
    https://cheddargetter.com/admin/emails

The codes (listed in the Syntax Reference on that page) are as follows:

{$invoice.couponCode} The code for the coupon corresponding to the promotion that was applied to this invoice

{$invoice.promotionName} The name of the promotion applied to this invoice

{$invoice.promotionDescription} The description for the promotion appliced to this invoice

Hope that helps,
    Adam

10. 8 Posted by matt on 17 Aug, 2012 07:21 AM

+1 for coupon field on hosted page. This would be a great feature.

11. 9 Posted by contact on 29 Aug, 2012 01:37 PM

+1 again - would be a great feature!

12. 10 Posted by Clay Nichols on 29 Aug, 2012 02:26 PM

+1 for a coupon option or some way to give folks a special URL or code that gets them a free X months.

I figured out one SOLUTION that I think will work:

Create a New Product and put your special Plans in there.
    Then for THOSE Plans, you could make the "Bill after " x days or months to give them that much time free.

13. 11 Posted by Clay Nichols on 29 Aug, 2012 02:26 PM

What is the timeline for the Coupon feature?

14. 12 Posted by Clay Nichols on 29 Aug, 2012 02:35 PM

BTW, I highly recommend that you call it something that does not sound like a discount, perhaps "Referral Code" or "Referred by" or something b/c if someone does NOT have the code they :

1. Will feel like they're "missing out"
    2. May look for the code (interrupting the sale) and then perhaps find it which means you gave them a discount you didn't have to AND it pollutes your referral tracking system (if that's what you were using the code for) b/c it'll show them as being referred by a source that didn't really refer them.
  15. 13 Posted by Mark on 31 Aug, 2012 07:49 PM

+1 for letting us know the ETA on the coupon feature!

16. 14 Posted by Bogdan on 19 Sep, 2012 08:18 AM

• 1 for embedded promo-code field
  17. 15 Posted by phuijbers on 09 Dec, 2012 11:10 AM

+1 for the coupon on hosted page.

18. 16 Posted by Mark on 14 Jan, 2013 04:07 PM

For anyone still following this thread, CG has released this feature. See Configuration > Hosted Pages > Form Fields, last checkbox "Promotion: Coupon Code."

https://cheddargetter.com/admin/hosted-settings/fields

19. 17 Posted by adam on 15 Jan, 2013 03:46 PM

Thanks Mark for pointing this out. Yes we have indeed released promotions on Hosted Payment Pages.

If any of you have comments or suggestions for improvements, please leave them here!

Thanks,
    Adam

20. Dean closed this discussion on 24 Jan, 2013 04:01 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM