Can I used a Tracked Item to create an "addon" that will always be billed every month?

Clay Nichols

29 Nov, 2011 01:37 AM

We're going to have a Home and Pro version. The Pro version just gives access to some more features and costs an extra $5/month. We want that billed whether their usage shows they used it or not. So if the base service is $10 and the Pro adds $5 then we want them billed $15 every month until the service is cancelled.

I was thinking we'd have a Tracked Item called "pro" but it seems that the Tracked Item gets billed that extra $5 if they actually use it., Is that correct?
If so, then how, exactly, do I have an extra charge applied every month?

per your documentation:

Then it analyzes the tracked item config and the customer's usage. If the customer's current usage of an item is greater than the quantity included, then we multiply the difference by the overage amount which results in the cost incurred for the additional usage of the item.

(BTW, I found the paragraphs around the above quote very confusing.)

Perhaps there is a better way for us to do this "add on" price?

1. 1 Posted by adam on 29 Nov, 2011 03:27 PM

Hi Clay,

You could do this with tracked items, but I would suggest simply creating two separate pricing plans for the two separate plans, Home and Pro.

Adam

2. adam closed this discussion on 29 Nov, 2011 03:27 PM.

3. Clay Nichols re-opened this discussion on 29 Nov, 2011 03:55 PM

4. 2 Posted by Clay Nichols on 29 Nov, 2011 03:55 PM

I would be helpful to have answers to my two original questions. I'll rephrase them a bit:

Tracked Item gets billed only if the customer uses it, correct?
    If so, then how, exactly, do I have an extra charge applied every month regardless of whether the customer uses the Tracked Item?

5. 3 Posted by Dan Kamins on 06 Dec, 2011 01:25 AM

You specify the included# and per-unit overage cost for each tracked item in each of your plans. In each customer's subscription, your app (or your CS reps via CG web UI) can push the used#, and if it is more than included# from plan, then it will be billed at rate specified.

If you wanted to you could simply set included#=0 and used#=1 to trigger billing -- CG doesn't care (or know) if the user actually used it or not in your app. But as Adam said, it would probably be simpler to have two separate plans.

6. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 08 May, 2012 12:25 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM