Custom credits and negative account balance

Hans

09 Feb, 2010 06:47 PM

I'm in the process of implementing a referral system for my application. When an existing subscriber refers somebody who signs up for one of my paid plans, the existing customer gets a credit toward his or her subscription. Also, my customers can refer as many people as they want and get a lot of credits toward their account. Theoretically this could pay for their subscription for a number of months.

So say, for example, my paid plans are $30/mo, and a referral is rewarded with a $10 credit. If Sally refers four people this month, I'll create four custom charges of -$10 each and apply them to her subscription. When her bill comes, she'll have a balance of $30 - $40 = -$10.

What I want is for Sally's credits to pay for the entirety of her current bill and have the remaining $10 credit get rolled over to next month's bill. Will CheddarGetter do this, or will it (or Authorize.net) apply some sort of chargeback acrobatics to settle the balance in one transaction? If the former, will CheddarGetter even hit her credit card, or notice that there's a $0 balance and not attempt to run any transaction? Say instead of four referrals she gets rewarded for forty - will CheddarGetter just continue to apply the credits to her monthly bill, depleting the balance until she's finally back in the red?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 09 Feb, 2010 10:10 PM

CG takes care of this by carrying the remaining credit forward to the next invoice. CG wont charge a credit card unless the balance due at the time of the billing date is greater than zero. Carrying the remaining credit forward can happen an infinite number of times.

2. 2 Posted by Hans on 09 Feb, 2010 10:30 PM

Perfect. Thanks!

3. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 13 Feb, 2010 02:31 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM