How do we let our customer know their CODE after they make their purchase?

Clay Nichols

17 Nov, 2011 10:50 PM

Assume we use the Hosted shopping cart and send our customer to you to enter their payment info. How do we then show them their CODE (which they'll need to enter into our system to start their subscription)?

(I realize they'll get an Email with the code, but there is always the chance they mistyped their email address. Also I want them to get their instructions immediately, rather than having to open their email program, check their email, etc.)

(Our Use Case: the user has to type their CODE into a program to activate that program (which then checks the internet to make sure the Code is valid.)

1. 1 Posted by Clay Nichols on 21 Nov, 2011 10:11 PM

No response on this for a couple of days. Please let me know if this just is not possible because it's a critical feature for our needs.

2. 2 Posted by adam on 22 Nov, 2011 03:47 PM

Hi,

Are you generating a unique ID for the customer on your end for authentication? I'm not sure which CODE you are referring to.

Thanks,
    Adam

3. 3 Posted by Clay Nichols on 22 Nov, 2011 03:59 PM

Yes, we generate a unique ID and pass that to CG. Then CG collects the payment info and sends them to a "results" page, which will have instructions for the customer (and needs to show them their "code").

BTW, by "Code", I mean :
    http://support.cheddargetter.com/kb/api-8/what-is-this-code-i-keep-...

4. 4 Posted by adam on 22 Nov, 2011 04:07 PM

I see. I'm not sure I understand why the customer will ever need to see their unique identifier however. If you are generating that UID for authentication, all you need to do is hit our API to check the status of that customer:
    http://support.cheddargetter.com/kb/hosted-payment-pages/hosted-pay...

Or you can check status via an http request:

https://yoursite.chargevault.com/status?key=a1b2c3d4e6&code=yourcustomercode

Does that make sense?

AQ

5. 5 Posted by Clay Nichols on 22 Nov, 2011 04:59 PM

These are stateless web pages. So, how does our "results" page "know" anything about the customer's account? I.e., your payment page calls our results page. But my understanding is that your payments page doesn't pass any information to our results page, correct?

So how would our Results Page know anything about the customer?

Maybe a better way for us to do it is to generate the UID, call your payments page and then have you return the user to the original page (which does know the UID, because it generated it).

6. 6 Posted by Clay Nichols on 22 Nov, 2011 05:08 PM

When CG redirects the customer (after paying you) to either the original page or our custom "results page", does it PASS any variables?

7. 7 Posted by Clay Nichols on 22 Nov, 2011 05:12 PM

If CG does not pass any variables ( ?Variable=1&Variable2=2, etc.), how does our page know the user is being passed to it from CG? (I.e., how does the page know that the user just paid @ CG, vs. just browsing up to that page for the very first time).

E.g.,
    on OurBuy.asp page we generate a UID and then pass that to CG which collects payment and then calls OurBuy.asp or maybe Results.asp.

But when OurBuy.asp then loads, how does it "know" that the browser browsed to CG and back (vs. just arriving for the very first time)?

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Marc Guyer on 22 Nov, 2011 05:15 PM

Hi Clay -- No, CG does not send any variables in the redirect.

These are stateless web pages. So, how does our "results" page "know" anything about the customer's account?

Hmm... Doesn't the customer login to your site? How does your system identify a customer?

But when OurBuy.asp then loads, how does it "know" that the browser browsed to CG and back (vs. just arriving for the very first time)?

There's no guarantee that a redirect would work at all. This is why it's best practice for your site to do authentication (somehow identify a customer) then ask CG from the server side whether or not that customer has paid using the customer code you generated and passed to CG.

9. 9 Posted by Clay Nichols on 22 Nov, 2011 07:40 PM

Marc,

Yes, the customer logs into our site but they need their UID to do the that.
    So, after they pay on the CG site, we need to show them their UID so that they can then login. How do they get get their UID so that they can then login to our website?

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Marc Guyer on 22 Nov, 2011 09:32 PM

You could present this to them using the email notification templates. http://support.cheddargetter.com/kb/operational-how-tos/email-notif...

11. 11 Posted by Clay Nichols on 22 Nov, 2011 10:18 PM

There are two issues with that:

1. How will they know they need to check their email for further instructions?

2. Also As I mentioned in the original question:
      I realize they'll get an Email with the code, but there is always the chance they mistyped their email address. Also I want them to get their instructions immediately, rather than having to open their email program, check their email, etc.)

We're trying to keep things simple for our customer (and reduce calls to us).

12. 12 Posted by Clay Nichols on 28 Nov, 2011 09:33 PM

It would be great to get a response on this. I realize we had a holiday in there but this is a critical feature for us.

It would be fantastic to talk to someone on the phone about this.

13. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 17 Feb, 2012 01:30 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM