Billing dates problems!!!

Wendy Simpson

13 Nov, 2017 04:32 PM

I have clients that signed up on the 31st of august (and other months) that are supposed to be billed every month. I know that when there is not a 31st in a month, a client may be charged on the first of the next month instead.. but then the system is automatically changing their bill date to the 1st of every month after that. Meaning we are loosing a month of billing for each of those customers. If someone can please contact me asap, I would appreciate it. Wendy Simpson, Agile Harbor/SkuVault 502-231-4303

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 13 Nov, 2017 05:14 PM

Hi Wendy,

When an invoice frequency is monthly, Cheddar's algorithm for determining the next invoice date always schedules the next invoice one month from the last bill date. When the invoice falls at the end of a month without enough days, the invoice is moved to the beginning of the next month. When this happens it does change the customer's bill date moving forward, so for example, if a customer was billed on 8/31 and they were billed again on 10/01, their subsequent invoices will be on the first of the month.

While it does appear to skip September, the billing schedule will adjust over time and there will still be 12 invoices billed in between 8/31/17 and 8/31/18 (08/31/17, 10/01/17, 11/01/17, 12/01/17, 01/01/18, 02/01/18, 03/01/18, 04/01/18, 05/01/18, 06.01/18, 07/01/18, 08/01/18).

However, I can see how this might present some revenue reporting issues for you. We've considered making some changes to our billing algorithm so that customers who have a bill date at the end of the month will be billed on the final day of the month regardless of the number of days in between those dates (30th, 31st, or in February, the 28th or 29th), however, that's a change that will take us some time to implement. If you have any feedback about how you'd like the algorithm to function for customers with a billing date at the end of the month, we'd be happy to hear it! We certainly want to take your needs into consideration as we make changes.

If you'd like to work around the billing algorithm in the meantime, you could use one of our webhooks to change the billing date for any customers who start their subscription at the end of the month. For example, Cheddar fires a new subscription hook. If you analyze the hook payload and determine that the customer's bill date is at the end of the month, you could then make an API call to Cheddar to adjust the bill date (changeBillDate) to be on the 28th of the month, so you avoid "skipping" a month of revenue.

Hope that helps, Wendy, but please let me know if I can answer any additional questions!

Meghan

2. Wendy Simpson closed this discussion on 16 Nov, 2017 04:04 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac