Cancel, go back button on Hosted Payment Page

Frank Koehl

01 Mar, 2013 08:20 PM

Re-opening this suggestion post because (a) it's a good idea, (b) I need this for my site, and (c) there was never an official response from CG on the matter.

When my customers hit the Hosted Payment Page, the account is always already created, they are simply there to add/update payment data. In that situation, sometimes no action is the desired outcome (e.g. "Oh wait, the card is still good, never mind...").

In these cases, a Cancel button sending them back to the referer is the optimal course.

Currently, I can hack in something by putting a link in the company description at the top, but I'd much rather have an obvious cancel button next to that huge "Update Subscription" button at the bottom.

1. 1 Posted by Dean on 05 Mar, 2013 10:00 PM

Hi Frank,

I do apologize for your previous suggestion not being addressed. This does seem like something we can do, but I'm going to need a some time to talk to our team. I'll let you know when I get in contact with them. Thanks!

All the best,
    Dean

2. 2 Posted by Dean on 05 Mar, 2013 10:22 PM

Frank -- I've spoken with the team and apparently we've decided against this in the past for one particular reason. Generally speaking, you want to reduce any friction that will inhibit conversions whenever possible. It's our understanding that this return button would increase that friction and we want to prevent that.

3. 3 Posted by Frank Koehl on 06 Mar, 2013 01:42 PM

Dean,

Thanks for getting back to me. I agree 100% with your teams' goal of reducing friction; for example, the site we are building takes similar steps to ensure that customers do not leave our checkout process once they have begun.

However I am not talking about new signups, but updates to existing accounts. The notions of friction and conversion have no bearing here, since they've already converted and are currently paying customers.

Installing a 1-way turnstile into a process that can be (and often is) canceled introduces a disruption in a customer's experience flow. Elaborating on my earlier example...

Oh, the card is still good, never mind. Now how do I get back?

Wait, since I'm here does this mean that my previous payment credentials are no longer valid? I better re-enter the card just to be safe.

Shoot, our [bookeeper/accountant/boss] has the company card and she's already gone home for the day.

Groan/Expletive Now I gotta call Customer Support...

Sure, it's hypothetical, but I think we've both done this long enough to know that this isn't a far-fetched scenario.

I would urge you and your team to at least reconsider the option of displaying a cancel button on the Update page. Without it, I am definitely forced to hack in my own cancel button, which is a letdown for your customers and my own.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Marc Guyer on 11 Mar, 2013 04:30 PM

What's wrong with the back button?

5. 5 Posted by Frank Koehl on 12 Mar, 2013 04:55 PM

Nothing of course, however requiring the back button to perform a necessary action within an application is pretty bad form.

(edit) In other words, it's certainly an option, but it shouldn't be the only option.

6. 6 Posted by Frank Koehl on 21 Mar, 2013 05:37 PM

Shameless bump. Have you guys given this any more thought?

7. 7 Posted by Dean on 25 Mar, 2013 04:31 PM

Hi Frank - I'm afraid this is not something we're going to add as we would need to see a larger merchant population requesting the change.

8. 8 Posted by Frank Koehl on 25 Mar, 2013 06:28 PM

Thanks for the update, Dean. That's a disappointing decision, but I understand the need to prioritize.

I hope you'll at least keep it on the docket somewhere; after all, someone else posted about it first, and I echo'd the sentiment after stumbling across it in a web search.

If anything changes in the future, please drop a note here.

9. 9 Posted by Dean on 25 Mar, 2013 06:31 PM

Will do, Frank. We do appreciate your input here.

10. Jess Pendley closed this discussion on 21 Nov, 2013 07:36 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM