Getting started asap

cheddargetter

27 Sep, 2011 04:00 PM

Hi there

I'd like to launch my SaaS today, but since I was so stupid of not knowing that requesting a gateway at CheddarGetter can take weeks, I am considering setting up a PayPal account to bridge the few weeks.

Now my question and potential problem is that if I use PayPal (which I hate to use), and switch to the merchant gateway when it's available, I'll have to re-collect the credit card information from the buyers who signed up over at PayPal?
Because I don't think CheddarGetter stores that information?

Any solutions you can provide me to help me bridge the first few weeks?
Going a bit mad over here…

(ps, you guys really need to provide a direct chat support on your website. Communication via this support forum is way too slow…)

1. 1 Posted by cheddargetter on 27 Sep, 2011 04:03 PM

I do noticed that while using the test cheddargetter gateway, the credit card information is stored. Does this information stay there when switching to the live one?

Because I plan only to bill after at least 14 days, we could temporarily work with the test-gateway and start the actual billing once the gateway is up and running?

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Marc Guyer on 27 Sep, 2011 04:22 PM

CheddarGetter does not store complete credit card numbers, only the last 4 digits.

You can start with PayPal Standard, then add a direct credit card option later. You can then choose to keep PayPal as an option or disable it. If you disable it, existing customers on the PayPal billing solution will continue to be billed via their PayPal account but when it comes time to update their subscription, they will be migrated over to the direct credit card solution organically.

I do noticed that while using the test cheddargetter gateway, the credit card information is stored. Does this information stay there when switching to the live one?

No, I suggest using separate accounts for testing/dev and production. Since you already have a "production" account, I suggest deleting the customers in it. Then, setup a new CG product account to use for testing/dev and leave it in simulation mode. You do not need to pay for the testing/dev account.

Because I plan only to bill after at least 14 days, we could temporarily work with the test-gateway and start the actual billing once the gateway is up and running?

This isn't possible primarily since CG doesn't store cards, but rather leverages the gateway services to do that. In order to have CheddarGateway enabled, you must have a live merchant account.

Maybe the best option is to keep your production account in simulation mode but do not accept payment information from your customers. Instead, subscribe them to a "free" plan. When you have a live billing solution in place, you can then ask your existing customers to switch to a paid plan and enter billing info.

3. 3 Posted by cheddargetter on 27 Sep, 2011 04:30 PM

Thank you for the reply Marc!

So, my 2 options are:

• Use my existing PayPal Merchant account from another online business of mine and when my gateway is set up, ask the clients to upgrade to the same package, which will organically migrate them from PayPal to the gateway

• Don't charge them and hope they subscribe with their credit card once I make it paying. This seems a bit harder to pull off.

Ok I'll try to set up the paypal, and hopefully we can speed up the gateway approval process.

4. 4 Posted by cheddargetter on 28 Sep, 2011 09:04 AM

Ok, I've set up the paypal thing.
    But when signing up, paypal says the business is "Chargevault subscriptions" instead of my product name. How do I change this?

Here is the test-cancellation email I received from paypal, but it's also like this on the signup form and also on the signup email I got :

Hello Davy,

Your preapproved payments plan ChargeVault Subscriptions:PA-86Y48911KU**** has been cancelled.

To renew this plan, please contact ChargeVault Subscriptions and sign up for a new preapproved payments plan with them.

Business information
    Business: ChargeVault Subscriptions

Thanks,
    PayPal

5. 5 Posted by adam on 28 Sep, 2011 03:45 PM

Hi Davy,

This is a limitation of the current way Paypal handles authorizations. We have been working towards a solution for this (and the development is ready to deploy on our end) but are still waiting to hear back from Paypal's Adaptive Payments team about fixing this on their end. We're making progress, but unfortunately their developer support is painfully slow. We'll be releasing this as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    Adam

6. adam closed this discussion on 28 Sep, 2011 03:45 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM