Australia

Blindman2k

13 Jul, 2011 12:19 PM

So, with all the to-ing and fro-ing, do you have any live services in Australia yet?
Does anyone want to put their hands up as a reference customer?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 15 Jul, 2011 02:24 PM

Hi there -- The service is available in Australia, yes. The PaymentExpress gateway is integrated and tested and PaymentExpress has connectivity with many Australian banks. A notable limitation of some setups is the requirement of CVV. The backend processor you choose must not require CVV on every transaction. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Our contact at PaymentExpress is Richard Harding. You might get in contact with him with questions about PaymentExpress.

2. 2 Posted by Blindman2k on 16 Jul, 2011 12:31 AM

Sadly, Richard has left the company and I have received no response from their Sales email address (yet).

As per my original question, do you have any reference sites in Australia?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marc Guyer on 18 Jul, 2011 04:28 PM

PaymentExpress has been extremely difficult to work with and we're batting 0 for about 30 in getting anyone successfully on the platform. As a result, we're considering supporting a different Australian gateway. We've probably had the most requests for http://www.eway.com.au/. We'd be happy to evaluate that or other gateways at your request.

4. 4 Posted by Aron Steg on 18 Jul, 2011 04:33 PM

eWay is very popular here. Give me a couple of weeks and I will do my own
    investigations.
    I am happy to work through this with you. I am not in a hurry so I would
    rather an easy / smooth solution than a quick one.

Yours,
        A.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Marc Guyer on 21 Jul, 2011 07:24 PM

We're eager to hear what your research turns up. Let us know!

6. 6 Posted by Yalcin on 07 Oct, 2011 02:56 PM

Issue with Australian gateways is that you need a merchant account with an Australian bank; AFAIK there is only one Australian bank which provides a merchant account that supports multiple currencies.

And this particular bank's fee structure (and setup requirements) are simply shite. For Australian startups wishing to bill in currencies other than AUD, there doesn't seem to be a viable option - when taking gateways and merchant accounts as a complete picture.

Am I correct?

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Marc Guyer on 07 Oct, 2011 03:21 PM

Hi Yalcin -- We've heard similar concerns from many Australian merchants. Startups, too. First off, being a startup puts you in a difficult position for obtaining a merchant account at all. When you introduce multi-currency (or even just non-native currency), it makes it even more difficult. Second, it seems that Australian banks live in their own world when it comes to credit card processing and their fees reflect that. Fortunately there are some other options.

Our go-to partner for multi currency is Payvision. The bad news is that they do not have banking relationships in Australia to my knowledge. The good news is that it's possible to setup a shell entity in the UK which would enable you to obtain merchant service in any currency from Payvision. Doing that actually isn't that expensive. This option can be laborious to setup and Payvision may not even approve you if you're a startup, or more accurately are not anticipating sufficient revenue volume (among other possible reasons).

Another option might be PayPal Website Payments Pro. Honestly, we haven't done the research to determine how this would work for Australian merchants, especially where it concerns currency and fees. Further, we're not 100% complete with our integration with WPP. Completion of that project is currently dependent upon PayPal support. Once we get the right answers from PP, we'll be able to complete that project inside of a week or so. If you choose to research this option where it concerns Australian merchants and non-AUD currency acceptance, we be happy to workout a discount on CG service should you choose to be our first Australian merchant on the solution.

8. 8 Posted by Aron Steg on 07 Oct, 2011 03:27 PM

Marc, I think I know who might be able to assist with this problem.
    Contact me directly by email.

9. 9 Posted by Yalcin on 10 Oct, 2011 12:24 AM

Been talking with PayPal.. here's an update

Payflow pro (which is simply a gateway with full API) is capable of handling multi currencies - but a separate Payflow pro account is required for each currency I want to accept. In addition, I will still need a merchant account with NAB bank, which is currently the only bank in Australia that provides merchant accounts with support for multiple currencies. Which brings me back to my original problem (being NAB really sucks as far as startups are concerned).

PP's Website Payments Pro (which includes a gateway AND merchant facility) is only available in Australia in limited fashion - being recently introduced in "hosted" format only... i.e. no API support - hence can't be integrated with CG.

When I spoke with PP earlier this year, they had indicated that the full Website Payments Pro product would be introduced into Australia later this year. Now I am told that their "hosted solution" has recently been introduced but not the full API support.

When I asked whether I can unofficially take this to mean that full version is on the roadmap, I was told "yes". So there is still hope, but no ETA. I'm guessing it is nearing rollout.

10. 10 Posted by Aron Steg on 10 Oct, 2011 12:27 AM

The problem is that Paypal is very expensive per transaction. :(

11. 11 Posted by Yalcin on 10 Oct, 2011 12:30 AM

So just a recap for anyone else reading this from Australia:

If you do not need multiple currency support, you can just set up any old merchant account with most local banks, and use a gateway such as eway to hook into it. Then CG can help you tie into eway.

If you do need multi currency support, your options are to set up your merch account with NAB and use a gateway like eway again.. OR wait till PP fully launches Website Payments Pro in Australia.

This is what I've been able to deduce. Correct me if I'm wrong.

12. 12 Posted by Aron Steg on 10 Oct, 2011 12:34 AM

I don't believe that CG have managed to hook up eWay yet, but in theory this
    is correct.

13. 13 Posted by Yalcin on 10 Oct, 2011 12:39 AM

I agree Aron.. However I can't find another alternative. NAB option is just crazy (enquire and find out what they require from you before you even get to apply).

For now, I'm doing things the old fashioned way... I have an account with EziDebit. I get my clients to fill in and fax me a paper form so that I can direct-debit their nominated credit card as I need. Each month I generate invoices and run a process through EziDebit to debit clients' cards. There are problems when payments are declined (which I have to manually chase up). Also non-Australian clients' cards are sometimes blocked since they think that payments to Australia are fraudulent.

14. 14 Posted by Aron Steg on 10 Oct, 2011 12:42 AM

My NAB forms have all been approved I am just waiting for them to put me
    live ... so its not a big stress for me :)

15. 15 Posted by Yalcin on 10 Oct, 2011 12:45 AM

You bit the bullet and set up with NAB? Did they ask you to deposit a crazy sum of money into a non-interest-bearing account (for security)?

What was your experience?
    What gateway are you going to use?

Maybe it is easier for me to set up a US company and bank account. :-P

16. 16 Posted by Aron Steg on 10 Oct, 2011 12:49 AM

I am waiting for the deposit request from them. I am expecting it but am yet
    to see how much they are asking for.

All my business is with NAB and they are looking after me very well, if
    sometimes a little slowly. There wasn't much question about who I would
    use. I have a great bank manager who is kicking butt internally when
    required so things are getting done pretty well. NAB has their own gateway I
    will probably use until someone tells me not to. It's cheaper and less
    stressful to have one provider instead of two.

A.

17. 17 Posted by Yalcin on 10 Oct, 2011 12:58 AM

So you will develop your own solution using NAB's gateway?

I've found and asked prominent / successful AU based online service businesses (who do recurring billing internationally) how they go about it and what their experiences were. Hoping that they will take me seriously and respond.

Let me know how you go.

18. 18 Posted by Aron Steg on 10 Oct, 2011 01:03 AM

I haven't decided yet. I have two business, one that needs a simple
    billing engine which NAB provides. The other uses Paypal for the
    moment but when I get off my rear and put recurring billing in (so I
    dont have to do it manually each month!) then I need to either do the
    hard work myself or use the CG system. I don't see any viable
    alternatives. But I am also not in a great hurry right now.

19. 19 Posted by Aron Steg on 10 Oct, 2011 06:13 AM

Speak of the devil ... my NAB Transact account just went live today!
    No deposit requested :)

20. 20 Posted by AD on 11 Oct, 2011 01:04 AM

You'll only need to provide a deposit if you're doing subscriptions for a service, and then the amount is based on your estimated "refundable" total. i.e. if you go broke, and everyone demands their money back, you need to have enough to cover everyone.

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, there is to date still no better option than NAB. Next time I do this I'll be setting up a US entity and doing it all through a bank in the US. It's simply not worth the hassle to do your banking in Australia.

21. 21 Posted by ID on 12 Oct, 2011 08:17 AM

I've had similar experiences with NAB. Unfortunately the banking system in Australia just doesn't get startups or they want it completely risk free (which as they have a monopoly is within their right I suppose) we were told we needed to deposit $800k into an account to do what we wanted. Still trying to find a workaround - but we're going to have to move it overseas by the looks of things... love it.

IMO PaymentExpress have been awesome to deal with re Chargify and Recurly and now looking at Cheddaaar (great name!)... Amer Sharief there has been really, really helpful. For me the guys at eWay weren't overly helpful.

22. 22 Posted by ID on 21 Oct, 2011 12:46 AM

P.S. Amers email is [email blocked] he has been super helpful with everything...

23. 23 Posted by bill on 08 Aug, 2012 11:23 PM

Are there any updates here on the best course of action in Australia?

I had originally intended to use Recurly -> Payflow Pro > Bank setup but have found CG's api easier to work with.

Is it possible to use CG's native gateway with an Australian Merchant Account?

Any information would be great

24. Support Staff 24 Posted by Marc Guyer on 08 Aug, 2012 11:43 PM

There are a couple of options. [WorldPay](http://www.worldpay.com) and [PaymentExpress](http://www.paymentexpress.com). WorldPay is compatible with the native gateway.

25. 25 Posted by bill on 09 Aug, 2012 11:48 AM

Hi Marc,

Can I use CG > Payflow Pro > Australian Bank?

I'll have to investigate PaymentExpress and their pricing as opposed to Payflow Pro. Was originally hoping to get rid of one of the 'middle men' but doesn't look like it's possible. I noticed on their 'Billing Solutions' page they don't list CheddarGetter - http://www.paymentexpress.com/Partners/Billing_Solutions

26. 26 Posted by adam on 09 Aug, 2012 02:40 PM

Hi Bill, we have not tested Payflow Pro with international merchant accounts. We have only heard of domestic (US) merchants being able to use the Payflow Pro gateway. That said, if you contact them I'm sure they will be able to tell you.

27. 27 Posted by bill on 09 Aug, 2012 10:40 PM

Hi Adam,

I currently use Payflow Pro with an australian merchant account - https://www.paypal-australia.com.au/business

There shouldn't be any difference in CG connecting to Payflow Pro so it should be good to do I would think.

28. Support Staff 28 Posted by Marc Guyer on 10 Aug, 2012 01:24 AM

In that case, go ahead and give it a try. Setup docs are here:

http://support.cheddargetter.com/kb/getting-started-19/configuring-...

You can enter those creds here:

https://cheddargetter.com/admin/setup/thank-you

29. Support Staff 29 Posted by Marc Guyer on 03 Jan, 2013 09:15 PM

Hi all -- I know this thread is a bit dated but I thought you'd like to know that eWay gateway support is now available on CheddarGetter.

30. Dean closed this discussion on 24 Jan, 2013 03:05 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM