How to proceed when user cancels Paypal preapproval?

Matti Varjokallio

02 Jun, 2011 09:14 AM

Hi ,

I am not quite sure how to handle the scenario when user is redirected to Paypal but cancels the preapproval. The user then ends up in canceled state in CheddarGetter. When the customer is in canceled state it seems we can not update the customer. So we would need a new Paypal preapproval link before doing anything. Is there a way to get a new link to Paypal as the redirectUrl field is empty? Or should we just delete the customer from CheddarGetter and start fresh?

Thanks,
Matti

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 06 Jun, 2011 04:26 PM

Hi Matti -- Sorry for the delay.

You can delete the customer if you know that this is a brand new customer who has never approved a preapproval. Or, you can update the customer with a new preapproval. The latter is basically the same as creating a new customer.

2. 2 Posted by Frank Koehl on 12 Jul, 2011 09:00 PM

So what about an existing user, where deletion is really not workable? How do you roll back the account changes made in preparation for the PayPal payment? What if the customer had a credit card on file before attempting to switch to PayPal?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marc Guyer on 12 Jul, 2011 09:34 PM

There isn't a rollback mechanism. If they start the PayPal workflow, they must complete it or setup a new CC.

4. 4 Posted by Frank Koehl on 12 Jul, 2011 11:35 PM

Well that stinks. Any recommendations on how to handle this situation? I was thinking of analyzing the <subscriptions> portion of the customer XML and attempting to revert to the second plan in the list.

5. 5 Posted by Frank Koehl on 13 Jul, 2011 05:13 PM

Problem is worse than I first suspected. All my users begin with a free plan when their account is created, and can upgrade afterwards. This allows me to verify the email they provide me before jumping through any payment hoops.

I'm currently trying to code for the scenario where a Free customer begins to upgrade to a paid account, but backs out after being redirected to PayPal. This simpler situation would seem to sidestep the issues outlined above, since payment details aren't required.

However, an API call to edit-subscription fails because the user's account is in a canceled state. The only way to reactivate a canceled account is to provide payment details, but there are none for free accounts.

As far as I can tell, this means that it's currently impossible for me to use the CG implementation PayPal. My only way out of this mobius fail strip would be to delete the user from CG entirely and recreate them, losing all their subscription, billing, and campaign history in the process. My accountant would kill me. Thoughts?

6. 6 Posted by Frank Koehl on 14 Jul, 2011 10:01 PM

http://support.cheddargetter.com/discussions/questions/782-updating...

I'm starting to see a pattern. Is there a reason why a canceled account cannot be re-enabled by selecting a free account?

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Marc Guyer on 18 Jul, 2011 03:07 PM

This is a current limitation of CG. CG restricts a canceled account entirely. In order to interact with the subscription, it must first be reactivated. We recognize this as a limitation and it's on our todo list. However, since it's been a relatively unusual scenario with a workaround, it's not at the top of that list.

8. Dean closed this discussion on 15 Jul, 2013 02:22 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM