How to trigger certain emails for testing

Ka Wai Cheung

27 Jun, 2013 07:37 PM

Hi there-

Is there a way I can manually force certain emails from triggering, with the test gateway? Specifically:

Payment Declined
Canceled Non-Payment
Pmt Method Expiring

There doesn't appear to be a straightforward way to trigger these. I.e. is there a CC i could use that would submit properly but would automatically error on a transaction?

Thanks-
-KC

1. 1 Posted by Dean on 28 Jun, 2013 02:07 PM

Hi Ka Wai,

Some of these just by the nature of the activity are difficult to replicate in real time. The way we do it is by BCCing ourselves and then we review the content once they're received. This way you can see individual e-mails if your customers have a question. And it's comforting to know it's reality and not a test environment.

You can use 4111111111111111 as a fake CC number for testing.

Payment Declined

This one is pretty easy actually. If you want to simulate a general declined transaction, enter 96000 for the customers' zip code. Pre-defined AUX CODES are used as customers' billing zip codes to throw specific gateway errors in simulation. You can see a list of those errors here: http://support.cheddargetter.com/kb/api-8/error-handling#error-codes. The format is 9+AUXCODE, so if you wanted to simulate an invalid credit card number you would use 95001 for the zip code.

Pmt Method Expiring

This one is a bit tricky because it is dependent on us running the recurring engine. We fire these e-mails every day at 1:30 UTC (8:30 AM your time). There are a total of three; 14 days, 7 days, and 2 days prior to the bill dateTime. So, you can create a customer with a CC expiration date in the same month as the bill date, and review those BCC'ed e-mails.

Canceled Non-Payment

These jobs fire every three hours, so testing will be a bit quicker. Just signup a customer with no payment method.

There has been talk of building a few triggers in the GUI to allow our merchants to fire these types of e-mails for testing purposes. It would be useful just to review content and format. Is this your intention, too? We could implement this but I'm not sure it would be ready for your timeline. Please let me know if you have further questions!

Best,
    Dean

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Marc Guyer on 28 Jun, 2013 02:13 PM

Also, if you have a previously declined payment record, you can click the "Resend Email" link at the bottom of the invoice to resend. The content is rebuilt each time so if you make a template change, it should be reflected in the resend.

3. Jess Pendley closed this discussion on 21 Nov, 2013 07:44 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM