Some additional questions

Mita Patnaik

06 Apr, 2011 04:10 PM

Hi Mark,

In spite of reviewing your documentation in the support site as well forums, we still could not get answers to all our questions. So here they are:

1. What is considered a transaction? I need to understand the total cost implications to determine the plan I need to sign up for.

2. Does the customer sign up on our page or your page? Can we do this on our page as we need to control the experience? Can I redirect the customer to your page only for the credit card information if he chooses to pay by credit card?

3. When a payment is made, do we pay the charges for paypal AND for CG charges?

4. Do I need PCI compliance? I noticed this in one of the answers in the forum.

5. I plan to charge the customer via paypal or via bank (based on their choice) for a different purchase invoice for marketplace transactions (outside of the billing plans, etc he has signed up for). I would be presenting the overall monthly transactions to the customer. Can I get a detailed list of charges incurred for a given customer anytime I need to (on demand)?

6. My customer is a company and not an individual. Can I set up this company through the interface? Looks like first name and last name are required fields – I may not have this data directly since the users for the company that operate the account are employees. How can I set up such a customer?

7. How do I notify CG of the usage of a particular type of item for the monthly charge? Is this at the time of usage or is this on a cumulative basis at the end of the month? If the latter, then the actual usage for the month may be different since the bill will be sent out by you on a later date.

8. How do you send the bill to the customer? Via email? As an attachment in PDF format?

9. Can I control the looks of the bill? My logo/branding?

10. Can I have the bill sent to the customer from my email address? Will this have to be done from my site or yours? Do I need to set up an spf record if the bill goes out from your system but with a from address on my domain?

11. Can I specify how to control the error conditions - I may not want my customer to be stripped off the subscription if the payment did not go through - I want to be able to make that determination as to how that situation is to be handled. Is this possible?

12. What is the availability of the CG service? What is the performance guarantee for a call? If I have to make the determination of which all features a customer has signed up for by making a call, I do need to understand the performance implications of my service to my customer.

13. What is the failover support for this service? While we hope that the service never goes down, we will need to plan for any potential crashes/service drops. How does the system recover from the transactional data loss in this situation?

Let me know if we can have a conf call to discuss these instead. We have a more complex scenario with business accounts and need to have clarity before we can decide on using CG.

Thanks for your help.
Mita

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 06 Apr, 2011 09:33 PM

First, is there any reason why you made this a private discussion? I'm sure others would benefit greatly by this info... Do you mind if I make this thread public?

1) What is considered a transaction? I need to understand the total cost implications to determine the plan I need to sign up for.

When you get paid, thats a transaction. If you use the CheddarGateway, Customer Vault interactions (add,update,delete) are also transactions.

2) Does the customer sign up on our page or your page? Can we do this on our page as we need to control the experience? Can I redirect the customer to your page only for the credit card information if he chooses to pay by credit card?

We are releasing "hosted payment pages" in the coming weeks. You'll be able to do it either way. You can control the experience entirely or use the hosted pages. You can also use a hybrid of the hosted pages and a more complete integration.

3) When a payment is made, do we pay the charges for paypal AND for CG charges?

Yes, except CG's fees are charged at the end of your billing cycle.

4) Do I need PCI compliance? I noticed this in one of the answers in the forum.

If you use paypal standard only, no. If you use paypal pro or accept credit cards directly, yes. If you accept the credit card number on your site, the requirement is merchant level 3 compliance. If you use the hosted pages to accept the cc number, you can be level 4 compliant (a much lower level).

5) I plan to charge the customer via paypal or via bank (based on their choice) for a different purchase invoice for marketplace transactions (outside of the billing plans, etc he has signed up for). I would be presenting the overall monthly transactions to the customer. Can I get a detailed list of charges incurred for a given customer anytime I need to (on demand)?

Yes, all information that CG has is available via the API.

6) My customer is a company and not an individual. Can I set up this company through the interface? Looks like first name and last name are required fields – I may not have this data directly since the users for the company that operate the account are employees. How can I set up such a customer?

The name is required. This should be the name of the billing contact at the company.

7) How do I notify CG of the usage of a particular type of item for the monthly charge? Is this at the time of usage or is this on a cumulative basis at the end of the month? If the latter, then the actual usage for the month may be different since the bill will be sent out by you on a later date.

This is up to you. You can update it at the time of usage if it doesn't happen very often. Or, you may update it periodically.

8) How do you send the bill to the customer? Via email? As an attachment in PDF format?

CG doesn't send a bill, just the receipt (via the text of an email) after the invoice has been charged to their payment method.

9) Can I control the looks of the bill? My logo/branding?

Completely, via plain text and html.

10) Can I have the bill sent to the customer from my email address? Will this have to be done from my site or yours? Do I need to set up an spf record if the bill goes out from your system but with a from address on my domain?

Yes, email is sent from the address of your choosing. CG will send using a common smtp server but we recommend you setup your own and configure CG to use it. We recommend SendGrid. Get 25% off any plan with this link.

11) Can I specify how to control the error conditions - I may not want my customer to be stripped off the subscription if the payment did not go through - I want to be able to make that determination as to how that situation is to be handled. Is this possible?

CG automatically retries the payment 5 times over 8 days. If a payment is declined, the customer is notified via email and prompted to update their payment information. After 5 failed tries, the account is auto-canceled. This is currently not configurable but enabling configuration of this behavior is on our todo list.

12) What is the availability of the CG service? What is the performance guarantee for a call? If I have to make the determination of which all features a customer has signed up for by making a call, I do need to understand the performance implications of my service to my customer.

CG does not provide an SLA. However, we strive for 100% uptime. CG uses itself to bill for itself and CG has many sister companies which use CG. We inherently have a high motivation to be highly available. Over more than 2 years, CG has been unexpectedly unavailable for a total of 15 minutes.

13) What is the failover support for this service? While we hope that the service never goes down, we will need to plan for any potential crashes/service drops. How does the system recover from the transactional data loss in this situation?

Data is replicated in near real time across multiple servers. If there happened to be a catastrophic failure, our recovery procedure could have us back up in as little as 30 minutes with little to no data loss.

2. 2 Posted by Mita Patnaik | ... on 08 Apr, 2011 06:29 PM

Thanks Marc. Will review and get back.

Sure, you can make this set of questions public.

3. Dean closed this discussion on 16 Jan, 2013 04:26 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM