Need help with deal-breakers

Brandon Elliott

22 May, 2013 09:30 PM

We have spent considerable resources to integrate CG with our existing checkout process. However, we ran into the following deal-breakers and cannot figure out a way around them (please help with any hints):

CURRENT SETUP
We have several "Plans" defined with several custom trackable items. All items, EXCEPT for one, are recurring.

Deal-Breaker #1
If we have an upgrade to a trackable item, it will not bill until the next invoice date. This leaves open a huge loophole that we do not see accounted for in the CG API. It's hard to imagine that it's not accounted for but we cannot figure out any way around it.

The scenario is that someone could order 1,000,000,000 of something and then use all services before the next billing. Then, on the billing date, their payment fails and we lose all the money that should have covered the use of the services. This will quickly put us out of business.

Deal-Breaker #2
Our current billing system allows us to mix recurring and one-off items in a single checkout. However, I see no way for us to know if a one-time purchase was successful. We need a confirmation that payment was successful and we need to know how much of the one-time purchase was paid (i.e. 100 units). How in the world do we handle this?

1. 1 Posted by Brandon Elliott on 23 May, 2013 12:05 PM

The PHP API documentation is not up to date as i see now (https://cheddargetter.com/php-client/docs/). In the PHP library there is everything existing for one-time invoices.

We are testing this now to overcome Deal-Breaker #2.

Please still comment on Deal-Breaker #1.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Marc Guyer on 23 May, 2013 07:49 PM

Hi Brandon --

The PHP API documentation is not up to date as i see now (https://cheddargetter.com/php-client/docs/). In the PHP library there is everything existing for one-time invoices.

The PHP client docs are now up to date.

Deal-Breaker #1

If this scenario is likely in your business, you might consider using the tracked item in reverse and charge for "credits". You'd allow a small amount of usage before they need to buy more. You'd then issue a one-time invoice for the credits and then adjust the customer's quantity accordingly. You could require opt-in for more credits as needed or enable "auto-rebuys".

We are testing this now to overcome Deal-Breaker #2.

Can you detail what you're doing here? I'm thinking you want to use custom charges and not one-time invoices. Maybe both?

3. 3 Posted by Brandon Elliott on 06 Jun, 2013 04:44 PM

I think we have solved both issues. The only way it was possible (that we see) is to use one-time invoices AND then update the recurring invoice. Otherwise, your system won't support our complex pricing model unless we constantly update the reset date (i.e. billing date) of our user.

That causes issues on our side, so we are forced to use one-time and then recurring. Testing now. You may close this ticket. We will create a new one, if testing reveals new issues.

4. 4 Posted by Dean on 06 Jun, 2013 04:47 PM

Brandon -- Will do. Please keep us in the loop and especially if you have more questions during testing. We're here to help!

5. Dean closed this discussion on 06 Jun, 2013 04:47 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM