Starting up + Gateway

Svyatoslav Ivanyuk

31 Mar, 2011 07:56 PM

Quick question. With new subscription system, does Starting Up support other gateways, such as Authorize.net?

If not, why not? PayPal support is great, but as I imagine whatever you start with, that's what you tend to stick with. It seems that I'm forced to start with PayPal, and then if I grow and decide to move to Blowing Up with merchant account + gateway support, I'll have to go through the pain of migrating customers to it. Or will my customers be split up between PayPal and merchant account?

I'd prefer that there would be an option of making decision on which way I want to go up front and allowing me to stick with it...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 12 Apr, 2011 03:44 PM

Hi Slav -- I'm not sure how we missed your question until now. It just showed up in our support ticket system this morning. The service provider must have fixed a bug this morning...

At any rate, here's the answers to your questions:

With new subscription system, does Starting Up support other gateways, such as Authorize.net?

No, it doesn't. The Starting Up plan is intentionally PayPal only.

If not, why not? PayPal support is great, but as I imagine whatever you start with, that's what you tend to stick with. It seems that I'm forced to start with PayPal, and then if I grow and decide to move to Blowing Up with merchant account + gateway support, I'll have to go through the pain of migrating customers to it. Or will my customers be split up between PayPal and merchant account?

We think it's best for startups to start with PayPal for a number of reasons. The most compelling one is that it is very difficult for a startup to get a merchant account. Even if you can get one, the pricing tends to be high. Once you get some traction, getting a merchant account is easier and more cost effective. You wont have to migrate your customers from one to the other. You can have both billing options at the same time. You could even "deactivate" paypal as an option which will cause current customers to migrate organically to direct credit card over time as their paypal preapproval expires.

I'd prefer that there would be an option of making decision on which way I want to go up front and allowing me to stick with it...

You do have the option to go straight to the "Blowing Up" plan. This is a higher level of service which is why it is priced higher. However, after doing some fancy math, it's not really much more (and it can even be less). When you consider the cost of a gateway (a value of $40/mo + $0.10/transaction), the cost of the "Blowing Up" plan is effectively around $39/mo + $0.10/transaction since the gateway is included. Depending on your volume, the difference is negligible. At a certain volume level it's even a savings.

2. Dean closed this discussion on 16 Jan, 2013 04:26 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM