New Billing & Paypal

Gerald

31 Mar, 2011 07:38 PM

What are going to be the requirements on the Paypal side with the new integration?

I was just about (literally, was sitting down) to start rewriting the billing portion of our app when I got the newsletter. This could be very exciting stuff, but before I get too stoked I need to know what type of accounts/features are going to be required for Paypal. If it's Paypal Pro plus Recurring that's going to be a little much I think.

Thanks!
G

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 31 Mar, 2011 08:56 PM

You will be required to have a Premier or Business account. You can get started with that now. The basic setup will be standard PayPal payments (not pro - that will come later). There are no additional costs on the PayPal side.

2. 2 Posted by Gerald Anderson on 31 Mar, 2011 09:01 PM

Very interesting.  Is there additional documentation available yet?

3. 3 Posted by Gerald on 31 Mar, 2011 09:08 PM

I am already billing customers through a Paypal business acount and would be very interested in doing some testing. Preferably against the PP sandbox, but don't find any information.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Marc Guyer on 31 Mar, 2011 09:11 PM

I see. We're not planning to provide any support for testing in the PP sandbox. We've built our own simulator which will bypass the PP interaction so you'll be able to test with CG. The only difference is you wont see money show up in a PP account (sandbox or otherwise) until you go live.

5. 5 Posted by Gerald Anderson on 31 Mar, 2011 09:25 PM

Hrm. First, thank you very much for your time and responses. I know I'm not the only person you're dealing with right now.

So, I'm a little confused I think. It's possible I'm behind the times a bit (what I have now was implemented over a year ago) but I'm not understanding how the checkout experience would go using a paypal business (Web payments standard (Free + transaction costs), right?) account. As I understand it:

1) User sees merchant cart/checkout page with the paypal buttons (generated by paypal or manually)

2) User selects and is sent to paypal site to complete the transaction as a credit card transaction or login and do a paypal transaction.

3) on transaction completion they are dropped to a paypal receipt page with a link back to merchant (often ignored ; ) or auto returned back to the merchant which receives the purchase information via IPN or POST on customer return.

Is there some new paypal feature that I'm not up to date with? Are you guys just using your plan info to generate buttons and the experience proceeds as usual? Am I way off base on all points? ; )

I am very interested in controlling as much of the experience as possible at the end of the day beginning with possibly using your hosted pages and going from there to implementing your API and controlling the experience completely. Depending on all of the above I'm concerned as to how much testing with your simulator can duplicate the experience. Also, I have been in poking around a bit this afternoon and don't see anything allowing for the set up of paypal. Is it just not up yet?

If you'd like to take this discussion to a different forum (email, IM, phone, whatever) please do let me know.

Thanks again,

G

6. 6 Posted by Pedro Carvalho on 31 Mar, 2011 10:02 PM

I have the exact same questions that Gerald, especially if Paypal Web payment standard accounts can be used and, it it can be used, how is the payment workflow supposed to work.

Thanks
    PC

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Marc Guyer on 31 Mar, 2011 10:21 PM

Is there some new paypal feature that I'm not up to date with?

I think so. We're using the X platform's Preapproval functionality. The basic workflow is this:

1. CG is instructed (by your app or the hosted page) to signup a customer on one of your plans.
    2. CG issues a preapproval request to PP.
    3. Customer is redirected to PP to approve the preapproval.
    4. Customer is redirected back to your site (or the CG hosted confirmation page)

After that process is complete, you as the merchant are given "permission" by the customer to execute payments against their paypal account over time without their explicit approval for each payment. CG executes these payments on your behalf per your pricing plan config. The limits are a total of $2000 within 1 year. If the year expires, or the $2000 ceiling is approached, the process starts over again.

8. 8 Posted by Gerald on 31 Mar, 2011 11:11 PM

So is that process compatible with the existing 3rd party libraries (specifically Ruby/Rails, and PHP), etc? I assume the hosted pages will work correctly?

Thanks again!
    G

9. 9 Posted by Raghu on 01 Apr, 2011 05:31 AM

If we go on to get another merchant accout in future, does this process change as far as a cusotmer on my website is concerned?

I see a lot of saas startups these days taking a few details like cc number, exp date and cvc number from the customer and the customer starts getting billed without having to register with services like paypal. I am wondering if this is possible with cheddargetter (with paypal or with anyother merchant account provider)

10. 10 Posted by Gerald on 01 Apr, 2011 03:05 PM

So does this create recurring billing profiles on the Paypal side or does this permission situation allow you to bill it monthly yourselves?

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Marc Guyer on 04 Apr, 2011 01:07 PM

So is that process compatible with the existing 3rd party libraries (specifically Ruby/Rails, and PHP), etc?

There will be some slight changes - likely only additional post values. Whether or not a particular wrapper will be compatible out of the box depends on the architecture of the wrapper. The PHP wrapper certainly will be.

If we go on to get another merchant accout in future, does this process change as far as a cusotmer on my website is concerned?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.

I see a lot of saas startups these days taking a few details like cc number, exp date and cvc number from the customer and the customer starts getting billed without having to register with services like paypal. I am wondering if this is possible with cheddargetter (with paypal or with anyother merchant account provider)

If you're using a traditional merchant account/gateway setup with CheddarGetter, then the customer enters their card info on your site (or the hosted pages) and CG then passes the sensitive data to the gateway for storage and reuse for future recurring payments.

So does this create recurring billing profiles on the Paypal side or does this permission situation allow you to bill it monthly yourselves?

No. CG is the subscription and recurring billing manager. CG executes payments against the customer's paypal account on the recurring schedule you specify within CG.

12. 12 Posted by Jessica on 21 Apr, 2011 01:59 PM

I'm a little confused too. Here are my questions:

1) It says that PayPal Pro is not integrated into CheddarGetter yet. Does that mean we can't use it at all, or does that mean it's just not as easy to use it as PayPal Standard?

2) In you blog post on the new pricing, you say that PayPal Pro costs $60/month. As I understand it, it only costs $60/month if you choose PayPal Pro ($30) + Recurring Billing ($30) or some other optional PayPal feature. Is it possible to use CheddarGetter with just a PayPal Pro account on its own, no PayPal extra features included? That would bypass some of the customer engagement problems that come with PayPal Standard, while still being able to take advantage of PayPal's universality.

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Marc Guyer on 21 Apr, 2011 03:32 PM

It says that PayPal Pro is not integrated into CheddarGetter yet. Does that mean we can't use it at all, or does that mean it's just not as easy to use it as PayPal Standard?

PayPal Pro can be used but the "guest" credit card functionality is not compatible with PayPal's own preapproval API. In order to support PP Pro credit card, CG will have to integrate directly with the PayFlow Pro gateway. We recommend CheddarGateway as an alternative to that anyway.

Is it possible to use CheddarGetter with just a PayPal Pro account on its own, no PayPal extra features included?

CG does work with a PayPal Pro account but only the "standard" portion. Therefore, the extra is not used.

14. Dean closed this discussion on 16 Jan, 2013 04:49 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM