Do you support discounts and offer codes?

mkusmik

17 Mar, 2011 11:11 PM

It appears you don't support offer codes for promotional discounts. Is that correct? Any plans to do so in the near future?

For example, we want to generate discount/offer codes that our customers can use on our website to
1) get X months membership free
2) BOGO - buy one membership, get one free
3) Discount off standard membership price for a period of time
4) X months free for add-on(s) to membership

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 01 Apr, 2011 12:47 PM

Melanie -- Sorry for the delayed response on this one. It was stuck in Tender's spam filter. We've disabled the filter since it was finding too many false positives.

Regarding your question: We don't natively provide support for coupon codes yet but we're gearing up for it. It's an often requested feature and we want to use it, too! We'll get to it as soon as we can.

2. 2 Posted by mail on 04 May, 2011 12:53 PM

Marc,

Any suggestion for a non-native implementation of discount codes etc as Melanie mentioned above?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marc Guyer on 04 May, 2011 01:33 PM

This is simple. When signing up the customer, override the default initial bill date -- set it to X months in the future. You can even do this without a payment method, then use CG's "Bill Reminder" emails to notify the customer that they must enter payment prior to the end of the "free" period in order to continue using the service.

Hmm... No sure what you mean here. I think you mean that if one customer buys a membership, that customer can give a membership away to a friend. In that case, I think you need two "promotions". One that triggers the other. Giving a "free" membership is trivial. You could use another pricing plan which is configured just like a normal membership except it's free. Then, when the "free" membership signs up, assign them the "free" plan.

This is a little bit difficult since CG doesn't currently have any mechanism to automatically "remove" a discount after a period of time. The only way to automate this is if the discount only lasts for the current billing period. You can do that with a "periodic" tracked item. For additional flexibility, you would need to set a job to run in the future to remove a discount after your chosen discount period ends.

We have a prototype feature called "tracked item grants" which we intend to use when we introduce native support for promotions.

You could do this in a round-about way. Use tracked items for the add-ons at the regular price, Then, use a negative tracked item for a recurring discount and schedule another future job to remove the recurring discount after the end of the period.

You could use CG's transaction callback hook to trigger your system to determine if a particular customer's subscription is scheduled to be modified according to your promotion parameters (instead of scheduling a future job).

4. 4 Posted by mail on 14 Jun, 2011 06:27 PM

Marc,

Do you have any update on the timeframe to handle coupon codes?

5. 5 Posted by textpal-1 on 14 Jun, 2011 06:59 PM

Hi Marc, I see your response to mail as : "This is simple. When signing up the customer, override the default initial bill date -- set it to X months in the future. You can even do this without a payment method, then use CG's "Bill Reminder" emails to notify the customer that they must enter payment prior to the end of the "free" period in order to continue using the service"

Is this an alternate option for the Free Plan? I find that I still need a payment method to be attached when signing up customers for a non Free Plan.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Marc Guyer on 15 Jun, 2011 02:33 PM

textpal-1 - There's an option in Settings to turn on/off the payment method requirement on paid plans.

mail -- We're still in spit 'n' polish mode on the latest release (paypal, hosted pages, etc). Also, buttoning up some back-end engineering stuff. We're getting close to new dev mode and will be formulating an updated roadmap soon. Coupons/Promotions/Affiliate mgmt will definitely be on it.

7. 7 Posted by mail on 15 Jun, 2011 03:10 PM

Marc,

Thanks for the update. I love your service and your offering but I have two
    pending deals that require coupon codes. I have to switch to a service that
    can handle them because I don't have the resources to build them out myself.
    Unfortunately I will be switching but will keep an eye out for your releases
    to see when it would be appropriate to switch back.

Thank you for all your help. Let me know if there is anyway I can help
    spread the word.

Best,

Seth Price |
    E: [email blocked]
    T: 401.351.4663

Twitter: @sethstuff
    www.linkedin.com/in/sethkprice

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Marc Guyer <
    [email blocked]> wrote:

8. 8 Posted by nikolas on 09 Jul, 2011 12:20 PM

I'm very interested to see coupons/promotion/affiliate as well.

9. 9 Posted by Gurpreet on 25 Jul, 2011 04:22 PM

We are also desperately waiting for coupons/promotion/affiliate as well.

10. 10 Posted by Jeroen Maljers on 29 Jul, 2011 09:45 AM

Same here. Can you please make this a prio in you development plan.

thanks

11. 11 Posted by nikolas on 07 Sep, 2011 09:47 AM

Any updates on this?

12. 12 Posted by Jeroen Maljers on 11 Oct, 2011 09:46 AM

is there news. When will this be available

13. 13 Posted by adam on 11 Oct, 2011 02:57 PM

Thanks very much for your patience, everyone. This issue is high on our list, and we want to implement it for internal use as well. It requires significant development, it is on the near-term roadmap, and should be complete by Q1 2012.

In the meantime, you can use tracked items to set up automated recurring discounts, or use one-time credits for other one-off discounts.

14. 14 Posted by Dean on 15 Jan, 2013 04:48 PM

Hi guys. For anyone still following this thread, we now offer promotions through the API and through the hosted payment pages. See Configuration > Hosted Pages > Form Fields, last checkbox "Promotion: Coupon Code."

15. Dean closed this discussion on 15 Jan, 2013 04:49 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM