Wordpress

Ethan

26 Feb, 2011 12:18 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this... but I'll give it a try ( couldn't find a forum ).

I'm working on a project that uses Wordpress MU (multi-site now I guess) and have been thinking about using CheddarGetter to collect/manage subscriptions and payments. The project has just over 1,500 'blogs' that represent different areas/cities. After a user registers for an account they're allowed to author posts from within Wordpress which are then displayed as listings on the site (real estate).

After reading through you great Getting Started Guide and a few other pages throughout the knowledgebase I've gathered that I could allow for users to register, and pay per listing by creating a pricing plan like so :

Pricing Plan : Managers

• USD 0.00 billed annually -- initially billed upon signup

Tracked Item : listing

• Quantity Included: 0
  • Overage Amount: 75.00
  • Monthly: No

Would that work properly? Does CheddarGetter play well with Wordpress? I've been trying to avoid using PayPal at all costs, haha - sorry again if this isn't the right place for this.

1. 1 Posted by Ethan on 26 Feb, 2011 12:19 AM

Hmmm... seems like I messed up the formatting on my last post - sorry.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Marc Guyer on 26 Feb, 2011 12:35 AM

You're in the right place!

Can you describe your billing model in some more detail? Are you doing any recurring billing or just $75 on-demand whenever someone wants a listing?

3. 3 Posted by Ethan on 26 Feb, 2011 01:18 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick response! We're trying to find a way to bill a user annually per listing based off the date the listing was published ( multiple recurring billing actions for a single user ).

Example : a user registers on 02/25/11, creates a listing and publishes it that day but also returns a week later on 03/04/11 to post another listing.

In the example above the user would be charged for the first listing again on 02/25/12 and the other listing on 03/04/11. Is this possible?

4. 4 Posted by richard on 26 Feb, 2011 03:05 PM

Hi, just to join in on the WP theme..

we are a video tech business and we want to use CG to bill users X £'s a month for a set number of videos and then an overage charge...

I think that seems like it would all work fine...the only thing is our site uses WP...would this cause problems integrating with you guys...if so is there a workaround?

We are really impressed with your service...just need to get all the ducks in a line bfeore we make a start!

thks in advance

richard

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Marc Guyer on 26 Feb, 2011 05:29 PM

Ethan -- First of all, I recommend against annual recurring plans. You will find it difficult to get merchant service (with favorable terms) for credit card acceptance with annual recursion. Other methods, like PayPal for example, expire after a year. Further, credit cards expire, so there is approx a 20% chance that a customers card will expire before the end of the year. The expiration isn't a problem because CG handles that but the point there is that customer's will have to update their credit card information anyway.

Here's what I suggest: charge people monthly for the number of listings that they have in the month.

If you still want to do annual, make it non-recurring. In other words, the customer "renews" a listing. In this case, using custom charges (rather than tracked items) to execute a charge at the time of the listing. You remember the expiration date of the listing and notify the customer when it's time to "renew". When they renew, simply repeat the same thing.

Hi Richard! --

the only thing is our site uses WP...would this cause problems integrating with you guys...if so is there a workaround?

No problems at all. There isn't currently a nice WP plugin for CG but there is an officially supported PHP wrapper - https://cheddargetter.com/developers#open-source-wrappers.

We would happily sponsor a well written WP plugin with some free CG service.

We're also just weeks away from releasing an update which will include CG-hosted customer billing pages. That'll make a WP plugin quite easy -- just a bit of wrapper interaction for tracked items and charges 'n' stuff.

6. 6 Posted by Ethan on 27 Feb, 2011 12:10 AM

Marc, thanks for taking time out of your Saturday to get back to me on this - your help is greatly appreciate. I hadden't thought about creating a non-recurring payment along with an alert to renew when the expiration date approches - but after reading your post I think that might be the best way. I'd love to go with a monthly payment of $6.25 per listing - but fear because the listings are somewhat seasonal users might sign up for only a month and cancel after the high traffic months are over. Which would make it a pain for us and our users who are browsing the site. Thanks again for all the help.

7. Dean closed this discussion on 16 Jan, 2013 04:09 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM