Paypal Website Payments Pro

mohsin

23 Feb, 2011 08:43 PM

WIll you be adding Paypal Website Payments Pro to the list of Payment Gateways?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 23 Feb, 2011 09:07 PM

We are actually in the middle of a project to do just that. We will be supporting Website Payments Pro which is the combination of Website Payments Standard and PayFlow Pro. Current target is 6 weeks.

2. 2 Posted by evan.delacruz on 04 May, 2011 03:18 AM

All of the stuff I have read over the past few days suggests that you are going to be supporting regular paypal (business/premier).

Paypal Web Payments Pro is actually a merchant account/gateway (or it acts like one at least)... not regular paypal.

1) I am very happy you are apparently supporting regular paypal, because that is also a requirement of mine

2) Will you in fact be supporting web payments pro too?

https://merchant.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&con...

Thanks,
    Evan

EDIT: I have no idea what Payflow pro is but I am going to go check. After re-reading previous post, it seems somewhat likely you have full understanding of how this works and I just need to shut-up and wait 6 weeks as mentioned ;) I was just browsing the new docs for the upcoming paypal feature and noticed it kept mentioning premier/business and so I got nervous and perhaps posted prematurely.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marc Guyer on 04 May, 2011 01:07 PM

Hi Evan -- It turns out that direct credit card acceptance via PayPal's "guest" credit card feature is incompatible with PayPal's own preapproval functionality which is what CG is using for recurring billing. If you'd like to accept direct credit card as well as PayPal payments, the CheddarGateway (or other CG-compatible gateway) is required in addition to a PayPal account. There's a blog post about it here:

http://blog.cheddargetter.com/post/4417605518/paypal-standard-v-web...

4. 4 Posted by evan.delacruz on 04 May, 2011 04:23 PM

For web payments pro, why don't you treat it like any other of your supported gateway? (where you manage the subscription, instead of having them do it).

I'm sure you guys have made your decision on this. But it seems to me you could:

Paypal standard
    CheddarApi + Paypal pre-approval + Paypal recurring billing + Paypal standard payment processing

Paypal Pro
    CheddarApi + Cheddar pre-approval* + Cheddar recurring billing + Paypal pro payment processing

*or however you do pre-approval for other non-Paypal gateways.

I would just drop the issue. But at my advice, based on this discussion, my customer signed up for Paypal Web Payments Pro last month. I did the CG integration this week only to learn that my advice to him was bad (based on your advice in this discussion).

Thanks,
    Evan

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Marc Guyer on 04 May, 2011 06:53 PM

That is exactly how it would have to happen. CG would need to integrate directly with the PayPal Pro gateway (Payflow Pro). We might do that in the future but since we have a comparable solution which we think is superior as well as much more cost-effective, it's not high on the list.

Honestly, we were quite surprised to find that one of PayPal's services (Pro) is fundamentally incompatible with the Preapproval functionality.

6. 6 Posted by evan.delacruz on 04 May, 2011 06:58 PM

EDIT: Oops, I replied to my client and somehow it ended up posted here! I guess i need to learn to use email.

anyways, I have my client looking at CheddarGateway. Thanks for your help.

EDIT2: It looks like I actually replied to Marc originally, not my customer, which explains how it got here. Sorry guys!

7. 7 Posted by Mohamad on 05 May, 2011 06:53 PM

@Marc,

I read the blog post. Correct me if I am wrong, but I gathered that in order to use CG and PayPal, the user would need to sign up for a PayPal account?

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Marc Guyer on 05 May, 2011 08:16 PM

I read the blog post. Correct me if I am wrong, but I gathered that in order to use CG and PayPal, the user would need to sign up for a PayPal account?

Yes, CG+PayPal requires the end customer to have a PayPal account. This is actually a limitation of PayPal Preapprovals. We are talking with the product management group about the possibility of enabling their "guest" credit card feature in the preapproval functionality. Hopefully they'll implement that in the future.

You can also have a credit card gateway configured in CG for credit cards. So, you can except PayPal payments and direct credit card payments.

9. Dean closed this discussion on 16 Jan, 2013 05:03 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM