Hosted Page return location is incorrect

Frank Koehl

01 Mar, 2013 07:41 PM

I am working on a project as part of a team, and we have a CG account that we are using for test purposes. This hasn't been a problem until now, as the Host Payment Page is redirecting back to the wrong referrer.

For this example, we have 2 test areas:

• adam.example.com
  • bob.example.com

I work in one location, but whenever I bounce out of our checkout process to the CG Hosted Page, I am redirected back to the wrong one.

My values for Return Locations are all empty, with the box checked for Automatically redirect to return URL.

I suspect that your systems are caching Referer header values somewhere from earlier requests, as this wasn't a problem before he began hitting the Hosted Page through his dev area.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 04 Mar, 2013 04:06 PM

Hi Frank -- I think this is expected behavior. The original referrer is remembered even if you leave and come back. This is by design because presumably that original referrer is the best place to return the customer. However, it's not recommended to rely on this anyway. The referrer functionality is just a fallback in case the return url hasn't been configured. The recommendation is to configure the return urls in CheddarGetter.

2. 2 Posted by Frank Koehl on 04 Mar, 2013 05:20 PM

The recommendation is to configure the return url's in CheddarGetter.

Ok, understood and noted. This won't be a problem for my production account.

This is by design because presumably that original referrer is the best place to return the customer.

Sorry, not biting on this one. If all else fails, the best place to return the customer is the referrer for this request. This is especially true since I have no way of knowing which previous referrer CheddarGetter is going to decide is the right one.

The only alternative I have is to create separate, bogus CheddarGetter accounts for every developer on my team (each dev gets their own area), plus at least 2 more for staging and live. That's a whole lot of WET for both you and me:

• [Me] I need to make price changes multiple times
    • [CG] Does your DB admin know you're recommending this? ;-)
  3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marc Guyer on 04 Mar, 2013 07:07 PM

This is especially true since I have no way of knowing which previous referrer CheddarGetter is going to decide is the right one.

Like I said, the referrer used is the first one in the current session. If you delete your cookies for your chargevault.com subdomain, you begin a new session. That way, you can know where the referrer is.

4. 4 Posted by Frank Koehl on 05 Mar, 2013 02:05 PM

So as long as the cookies for each dev are pointing at their own areas, I can get away without creating a slew of accounts. Do I have that right?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Marc Guyer on 05 Mar, 2013 03:24 PM

Right. When you experienced being returned to your compatriot's dev area, it's because you had previously started a chargevault.com session referred from that dev area. If that happens, just delete your chargevault.com cookies and start again.

6. 6 Posted by Frank Koehl on 05 Mar, 2013 03:34 PM

Tested and confirmed.

FYI I have removed all the sensitive info from my posts. Please feel free to convert this to a public discussion for the benefit of all.

7. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 05 Mar, 2013 03:36 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM