Error messages via API

cenk

16 Jan, 2013 09:27 AM

Please see the screenshot.

Is there a way to get the message in the third bullet via API?

The only part I can get is "The transaction was declined" from e.error_info['message']. I want to show more descriptive message error message to our customers. Please help.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 16 Jan, 2013 03:31 PM

Hi Cenk -- Not currently. This is by design to avoid presenting end users with cryptic error messages. The error message could be anything, not only related to a transaction decline. We have functionality in certain gateway implementations, however, to append additional information to the user "understandable" message. You've identified a PayPal decline condition that I think is a candidate for message refinement. However, it's not yet clear to us why this decline condition occurs.

It's ironically far easier for merchants to get information about specific instances of declined payments than it is for us. As such, I suggest that you contact PayPal with specific examples of this error in an effort to understand why the decline occurs. The content of the message seems to indicate that the customer needs to add a credit card to their account. That may be the solution in some cases but in many cases the customer has a valid credit card on the PayPal account in question and it remains a mystery why the decline continues to occur.

In short, I think it's best for everyone if we get a firm handle on what this particular decline message means. Then, we can craft a more meaningful message to guide the customer to a fast solution to the error.

2. Dean closed this discussion on 31 Jan, 2013 10:23 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM