Sales tax.

James Harton

18 Oct, 2010 08:44 PM

Hi there.

Here in New Zealand we have GST (VAT by another name). Is it possible to have the option to change the name of the sales tax on the invoices? Also, I only need to collect GST to other New Zealand businesses, how can this be achieved?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 19 Oct, 2010 02:11 PM

Is it possible to have the option to change the name of the sales tax on the invoices?

This isn't too difficult. Let us know when you're close to launch and we'll get it in the next release.

Also, I only need to collect GST to other New Zealand businesses, how can this be achieved?

It's up to you (or you can ask the customer at signup) to determine whether or not an individual customer will be charged the tax. You simply indicate the switch when you create the customer in CG.

2. 2 Posted by James Harton on 19 Oct, 2010 09:12 PM

Hi Marc.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know that it's relatively easy for you to allow us here in the Antipodes to call our sales tax GST (Australia has GST also, although at a different rate).
    Another side effect of GST is that there are certain legal requirements in terms of what must be displayed on the invoice:

http://www.ird.govt.nz/gst/work-out/work-out-records/records-tax/ta...

In short, it must show the GST, the name, trading address and GST number of the issuing company, the trading name and address of the purchaser and contain the words "tax invoice" in a prominent place.

I guess the best way would be to be able to theme the invoices and then choose the theme based on the customer location.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marc Guyer on 19 Oct, 2010 09:36 PM

When creating (or editing) a customer, you specify the GST number (if applicable) and whether or not the customer is exempt from GST. If the customer has a GST number, it is displayed on the default invoice. If the customer is not exempt, the GST amount is clearly displayed.

4. 4 Posted by James Harton on 19 Oct, 2010 11:52 PM

Right, but what about showing the issuer details?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Marc Guyer on 21 Oct, 2010 03:54 PM

I see that one of the requirements is the name and GST number of the supplier. We do not display your GST number on the invoice by default, only the recipient's. However, you may modify the email templates containing the invoice to include this information in Configuration->Emails.

Another requirement not met by default is the words "tax invoice" in a prominent place. You may also modify the templates to include this wording.

6. 6 Posted by James Harton on 21 Oct, 2010 09:49 PM

Since I'm using xero.com as my accounting system, and it has the ability to send out nice invoices from their API perhaps I should simply modify the wording in the emails to say "receipt" instead of "invoice" and use Xero to send them.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Marc Guyer on 21 Oct, 2010 10:54 PM

That sounds like a better plan for you.

8. 8 Posted by joel on 08 Nov, 2010 08:29 AM

Hi,

Can we be able to rename the word VAT on the invoice? if yes, can you teach us how or attach here the link of the tutorial?. but if no, any other way? Thanks

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Marc Guyer on 08 Nov, 2010 08:17 PM

First of all, we will be adding a config option to change the VAT label to whatever you like. That's on our todo list. Second, you may create your own invoice layout using the template system. Are you familiar with the email notification templates?

https://cheddargetter.com/admin/emails

You'll be most interested in the syntax reference within that interface.

10. 10 Posted by James Harton on 18 Nov, 2010 07:53 PM

Hi Marc.

Can you give me an idea of when the configurable VAT label will be available?

Thanks.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Marc Guyer on 19 Nov, 2010 02:31 PM

The label configuration will be available in our next minor release. It should be deployed in a few days.

12. 12 Posted by cweekly on 25 Aug, 2011 09:50 PM

Hi Marc,
    What about state taxes (e.g. for Massachusetts customers / MA-based businesses)?
    It turns out we have a "nexus" here in MA so for our MA-based customers [based on billing address of cc info, I think] we need to collect sales tax for those customers. Ideally it'd show up on the monthly bill as "MA sales tax", with the tax amount calculated against the total invoice amount.

Under /admin/configuration/settings the only tax-related item I see is a VAT tax rate but not a configurable VAT label. I also see ${invoice.vatRate} and ${transaction.vatAmount} in the email syntax reference...

So (1) what do you suggest w/r/t charging state taxes for MA customers only and (2) if we needed to resort to a hack is the VAT label at least configurable? I imagine we could set that rate at the MA level (6.25%) and label it "Sales Tax (MA)" and configure this on a per-subscriber basis ... but it'd be really nice for this to be automatic, and updated automatically (e.g. if customer changes cc billing address in another state, stop charging the sales tax and vice versa) ... can you comment?

FWIW SaaS vendors being required to collect sales tax for in-state residents is an area many are ignorant of, including me till today, but apparently it is required at least here in MA. Thanks.

/Chris

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Marc Guyer on 26 Aug, 2011 02:34 PM

Hi Chris -- It seems that this didn't make it into a release. I've dug up an old branch for this and we're putting the finishing touches on it.

FWIW SaaS vendors being required to collect sales tax for in-state residents is an area many are ignorant of, including me till today, but apparently it is required at least here in MA. Thanks.

Yeah, it seems that several states are moving in this direction.

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Marc Guyer on 30 Aug, 2011 07:27 PM

Hey Ya'll -- Sales tax label is now configurable here

15. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 30 Aug, 2011 07:27 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM