Chrun and LTV

Aysia Wright

04 Sep, 2018 03:31 AM

Hello - We have an issue with the analytics as they are set up . We have both one time and recurring transactions running through Cheddar Getter. I think this is throwing off the analytics so that we don't have an accurate view of churn and LTV. Is there a way to have our analytics only reflect our recurring memberships and perhaps show some other figure for # of single transaction members? They are technically all "active" and we'd like to leave them that way in case they want to re-gift, however, I need to separate them from our recurring memberships.

Thank you for your help.

Aysia

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 04 Sep, 2018 09:42 PM

Hi Aysia,

Is there a way to have our analytics only reflect our recurring memberships and perhaps show some other figure for # of single transaction members?

By default, Cheddar's churn and LTV calculations include all of the customers in your product account. If you'd like to exclude a certain set of customers from those calculations, you could either create a separate product account to manage their subscriptions or get the raw data from Cheddar to perform your own calculations.

Since you already have customers subscribed to gift plans in your current product account, I'd suggest going with the second option (customers would need to re-enter their payment information in order to create a customer record in a new product account).

To get the customer and transaction data you'll need to perform your calculations, you can use the API or webhooks. We've heard from other customers who were able to use Zapier with Cheddar webhooks to automate the process of transferring Cheddar transaction and customer data to an external service, like google sheets, for basic analysis.

Let me know if there's anything else we can do to help, Aysia!

Meghan

2. Marcela Poffald closed this discussion on 14 Sep, 2018 01:36 PM.

3. Aysia Wright re-opened this discussion on 13 Jan, 2019 01:15 AM

4. 2 Posted by Aysia Wright on 13 Jan, 2019 01:15 AM

Thanks Meghan - I know my response here is slow - just revisiting this
    now. Trying to find the easiest, no programming needed solution here to
    achieve an accurate report on Churn. Have any new potential solutions to
    this issue surfaced? I don't want a second account - that seems like an
    extra layer of expense and complication. Isn't there some way that a
    non-recurring record that is not scheduled to rebill can not be included in
    the analytics, churn and "member" count?

Thanks,

Aysia

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan Turner on 16 Jan, 2019 12:19 AM

Hi Aysia,

Sorry, nothing new to report on our end. A churn report by plan type is on our roadmap, but it's going to take us some time to get there. Our dev resources are committed to launching the next version of our API and retrofitting it into the current application at the moment, so I don't have an ETA on this yet.

The good news is that the new API will give Cheddar the underlying data structure we need to add functionality to our analytics features, so once we have that in place, it's going to be much easier for us to make updates to these features, it's just going to take some time to get to that point.

Meghan

6. 4 Posted by Aysia Wright on 16 Jan, 2019 02:48 AM

Thanks Meghan. I appreciate the update.

If I cancel gift plans as they come in, I assume that also would create an
    inaccurate "churn" number for us correct?

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Meghan Turner on 16 Jan, 2019 05:41 PM

Yes, a cancellation of a customer on a paid pricing plan does count as a churn.

However, the cancellation of a customer on a free pricing plan does not count as a churn. If you made your gift plans into free plans and used a one-time invoice to charge the customer instead of the pricing plan's subscription fee, you could avoid having cancellations of those customers count toward your churn metrics.

A free plan is defined in Cheddar as a plan that has no subscription fee or tracked item fees possible, so you'd have to set your gift plans recurring fees to $0 and any items on the plan to 0 included, 0 overage, and no reset. You'd also have to edit your integration a bit, so that when a customer signs up for one of these plans, your application uses the API to create and run a one-time invoice (directions on that here).

That solution would involve some code changes which I know is something you don't necessarily want to do, but I thought I'd mention this option just in case you have developer resources become available.

Meghan

8. 6 Posted by Aysia Wright on 16 Jan, 2019 08:15 PM

Thanks for the idea Meghan.

Cheers,

Aysia

9. Meghan Turner closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2019 02:05 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac