Migrating from Authorize.net

Oren Yehezkely

23 Feb, 2018 03:28 AM

Hello,

We have thousands of customers using Authorize.net each one of them has a profile. Will you be able to charge those profiles? Do you charge any extra for doing so?
Are you able to migrate from them to your own gateway, or Stripe by pulling the data, and without us needing to ask the customer for his updated credit card information?

Thanks,
Oren

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 23 Feb, 2018 05:36 PM

Hi Oren,

Happy to answer your questions about migration!

If you're already using Authorize.net's CIM (customer information manager) to store customer profiles, then you could continue to use your existing Authorize.net account with Cheddar. Customer profiles would need to be created in Cheddar and those profiles would be associated with their corresponding profile in your payment processing account by using a gateway token or profile ID from the processor.

If you choose to create the customer profiles yourself using our Import API (more info here and here), there won't be any additional fees from Cheddar. You're always welcome to contact us through the support forum with questions, but if you'd like more hands-on assistance from Cheddar, we do have some advanced support packages available for a fee.

If you're looking to switch processors, we can help with that type of migration as well. To transfer card data to a new processor, the card data can usually be exported directly from your original processor to the new processor. Once the new processor has created card profiles in their system, the process is relatively similar. Customer profiles would need to be created in Cheddar and those profiles would be associated with their corresponding profile in your payment processing account by using a gateway token or profile ID from the processor.

Fees for this process are determined by the payment processors. I'm not sure what the export/import fee policy is for Authnet or Stripe, but if you decide to use CheddarPay or the CheddarGateway you will not be charged an import fee. We have advanced support packages for this type of migration as well.

By planning the switchover in advance, either of these migration options could be completed with minimal disruption to your customers and shouldn't require that customers give you their billing information again.

Hope this information is helpful! Once you've determined which payment processor you'd like to use, let me know and I can walk you through the next steps.

Meghan

2. 2 Posted by Oren Yehezkely on 23 Feb, 2018 06:20 PM

Meghan thanks.

Very confusing.

Oren

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan Turner on 23 Feb, 2018 06:23 PM

Anything I can clarify for you, Oren? I'm happy to answer follow-up questions!

Meghan

4. 4 Posted by Oren Yehezkely on 23 Feb, 2018 11:52 PM

I am not sure what are you charging for and why. Your pricing was $79 per
    month. I see that it is $99 now.
    You now charge for support as well...

I understand that we can use the existing profiles we have with
    Authorize.net but you did not say if you know how to actually (not in
    theory) get the data from them and switch processors. Do you actually have
    experience with that?

Thanks,
    Oren

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Meghan Turner on 24 Feb, 2018 06:18 PM

Hey Oren,

Sorry to be unclear, Oren! I'll address each of your points below.

You now charge for support as well...

We don't charge for our basic support services like communicating with the support team via email or the support forum. That's always included with your Cheddar subscription.

The only support we charge for is advanced support packages. These are optional packages that we offer in addition to our regular support services. Our customers sometimes choose to pay for an advanced support package when they'd like us to provide a couple of hours of one-on-one phone consultation or would like our help developing documentation of a use-case specific plan for a complex setup, integration, or migration. These packages are certainly not required.

Your pricing was $79 per month. I see that it is $99 now.

To address your question about pricing, we changed our prices to $99 per month and 2.9% + .30 cents per transaction because we're now offering built-in payment processing. That fee bundles your Cheddar subscription, gateway, and merchant account into one monthly subscription. If you're US banked and processing in USD, you can apply to use the new built-in processing option in your Cheddar product account. If you're not planning to use our processing, the fee is $99 plus .30 cents per transaction. However, as a merchant who signed up for Cheddar before the pricing change, I can see if we could get you the original $79.00 rate if you bring your own payment processor.

I understand that we can use the existing profiles we have with Authorize.net but you did not say if you know how to actually (not in theory) get the data from them and switch processors. Do you actually have experience with that?

We do have experience with migrating data between processors, although this isn't a process that Authorize.net makes particularly easy. Last I checked, Authnet doesn't have a great solution for directly exporting card data to another PCI compliant provider. If this support discussion with their team is accurate Authnet charges at least $500 and will only export the records to you as the merchant using Authnet, not to another PCI compliant provider like Stripe or the Cheddar gateway. While possible, this method isn't ideal as you'll need to prove a higher level of PCI compliance in order to directly handle credit card data.

However, we do have a way to help you get cards migrated without doing the direct export from Authnet once you get started with Cheddar. Initially, you'll continue using Authorize.net with Cheddar. Once your customer records have been imported into Cheddar and your Authorize.net gateway has been connected to your Cheddar account, we can connect a second gateway (like Stripe or the Native Gateway) and put your account into migration mode.

Migration mode means all new customer sign-ups will have their card data added to your new gateway and your existing customers will be transferred from Authnet to your new gateway as they update their payment information over time when they get new cards or their cards expire. This method does take some time to transfer all of your records, but it also means that you won't need to ask your customers to give you their credit card details again.

Does that better answer your questions, Oren? Happy to go into more detail on anything that's still unclear.

Also, if you have any questions about our built-in payment processing or the Native Gateway, let me know!

Meghan

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac