set tracked item upon subscription update

amit weinblum

03 Jan, 2018 05:30 PM

Hi,
our paying subscriptions are all configured to be billed immediately when updated.
there is a tracked item with configured overage that i sometimes want to set when updating to a paying subscription.
my problem is that the subscription update API doesn't support setting tracked item like create Customer API does.
I can't set the item before the subscription update because i don't have the user's credit card details yet.
if i set the item after the subscription update, it only affects the next invoice (only next month),
can this be done in a single invoice?

thanks,
Amit

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 04 Jan, 2018 04:47 PM

Hi Amit,

Yes, you can use the changeBillDate param to give yourself time to set the item before the first invoice on the new plan transacts. The changeBIllDate param in the customers/edit-subscription call will override the pricing plan settings, so even if the customer is subscribing to a plan that bills on signup, you could set the customers fist bill on their new plan to run sometime (minutes or even days) after the plan change and make a follow-up /customers/add-item-quantity/ call to update the pending invoice before it runs.

Hope that helps, Amit, but let me know if I can answer any follow-up questions!

Meghan

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac