Support for 3D Secure

Marek Bliscak

19 Sep, 2017 01:55 PM

Hello,
I would like to ask you whether you support 3D Secure.
Thank you in advance
Mark

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 20 Sep, 2017 09:08 PM

Hi Marek,

We don't support 3D secure at this time. It's something we haven't chosen to support in the past because there's some evidence 3D secure doesn't actually provide more security for online transactions and creates confusion for customers. However, we know that it's required by some countries, so we are considering adding the feature in a future update.

Out of curiosity, why are you interested in using it? Is it required by regulations in your country? Is it a feature that important to your customers?

Meghan

2. 2 Posted by Marek Bliscak on 22 Sep, 2017 05:35 PM

Meghan,

thank you for your answer. We are based in Slovakia, a small country in the heart of the Europe and the part of EU Zone with EURO as our currency. 3D Secure is the de facto standard not only in Slovakia but also in many countries within EU Zone.

I'm not the expert in the field of cyber security but I cooperate and work with/for big institutions in my country as well as countries nearby in the banking and telco sector. 3D Secure might not is the perfect answer but I see it as teh standard.

The next problem is that many payment cards (mine as well) are allowed to pay online only with 3D secure. I don't know if this condition works well for recurring payments but for one-off payments, 3D Secure is must.

Enjoy your day,
    Mark

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan Turner on 22 Sep, 2017 06:53 PM

Hey Mark,

Appreciate your insight on this topic! Always good to get an update on the current payment landscape in the EU from someone who has direct experience. Do you know what types of payment cards are starting to require 3D secure? I've heard that Maestro requires it, are you aware of any others?

Although adding support for 3D secure isn't on our development roadmap right now, I'll pass along your feedback to our dev team and see if we can make this a priority for a future update. Thanks again for the information!

Meghan

4. 4 Posted by Marek Bliscak on 22 Sep, 2017 07:25 PM

Hello Meghan,

I've got VISA card and I can't make online payment without 3D Secure authorization. From my point of view as EU citizen and business person, I see a tendency from EU Commission to get a stricter position on security as well as on personal information management (see GDPR going into force next May forcing any company operating from anywhere in the world storing personal data within EU - the exceptions wil be made by EU Commission).

Overall, the trend in the EU is going to be more protectionist and it can have a direct effect on online security including on online payments market. I would take this issue more seriously no matter how relevant you see the security of 3D Secure. The industry in the EU has already accepted it as a standard and therefore you, as market player in the given industry you might take the accepted standards into consideration when it comes to your roadmap. At least, I see it that way. That's my five points.

Wish you a nice day and weekend.
    Mark

5. Marcela Poffald closed this discussion on 11 Apr, 2018 04:07 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM