assign 2 plans to 1 user

rotem cohen

04 Jul, 2017 01:12 PM

hi :-)

we have situation that user have 2 monthly charges with different dates,
it seems that only 1 plan can be assigned to a user - what can be done ?

regards,
rotem

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 05 Jul, 2017 03:21 PM

Hi Rotem,

You're correct that each customer can only be subscribed to one plan pricing plan at a time, but there are a number of ways you can handle multiple charge types within this framework. Your options include creating a new pricing plan that charges a recurring amount that's the total of the two monthly charges which would allow you to consolidate the charges into a single bill, using a tracked item to add a charge to the customer's regular monthly invoice, or issuing a one-time invoice for the additional charge each month which would allow you to issue the charge on a different date than the customer's regular recurring invoice.

Hope that helps, Rotem, but I'd be happy to answer any follow-up questions you have about these options.

Meghan

2. 2 Posted by rotem cohen on 06 Jul, 2017 12:58 PM

Hi Meghan,

Thank you for your answer

one time invoice is not suitable cause the charge is occurring on monthly bases.

tracked item is also not so comfortable cause each user can be charged on different money amount

currently we thinking of defining a tracked item with overage of 1 and then to update it with each user money amount - what do you think ?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan Turner on 06 Jul, 2017 04:14 PM

Hi Rotem,

Before I make any specific suggestions, I'd like to know more about your use case. Could you tell me a little more about this additional monthly charge? What product or service are you charging for? How much are you charging for it? For a customer who signs up for this additional product or service, will the monthly charge always be the same amount or will the charge amount vary from month to month?

Any other detail you can provide to help me understand how you want the pricing structure for this additional product/service to work would be appreciated! Thanks, Rotem.

Meghan

4. 4 Posted by rotem cohen on 06 Jul, 2017 04:45 PM

Hi Meghan,

The additional monthly cost is for support services the user can add to his basic plan - we have several support types (according to the needed skill) and the user can ask to get different support hours with different cost.

after the user decide of the needed support type and hours, it will be the same amount each month
    some users get special support rates according to the basic plan they are on.

so in summary
    - each user can have extra payment for additional service - the extra payment is the same amount each month - the amount vary from each user to another - the billing date of the extra payment charge is not the same as the usual basic plan

hope this helps :-)

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Meghan Turner on 06 Jul, 2017 09:43 PM

Hi Rotem,

Yes, that's great, thanks! After learning more, I think tracked items will probably be the best way to handle these additional support charges. What I'd recommend is creating a separate tracked item for each support type, then you can vary the overage rate charged for each of those items by the pricing plan the customer is subscribed to. For example:

Example Pricing Plan 1
    Tracked Item 1 - Phone support, 0 hours included, $100.00 per hour overage rate, do not reset
    Tracked Item 2 - Technical support, 0 hours included, $125.00 per hour overage rate, do not reset
    etc.

Example Pricing Plan 2
    Tracked item 1 - Phone support, 0 hours included, $70.00 per hour overage rate, do not reset
    Tracked item 2 - Technical support, 0 hours included, $90.00 per hour overage rate, do not reset
    etc.

To charge customers the correct amount according to the number of hours, you can increment their usage (number of support hours) of the item via the API or manually in the UI on the customer's current invoice. If you'd like their usage amount (number of support hours the customer is charged for) to stay the same month to month, make sure the item is configured not to reset every month. If certain customers need a discount on the typical rate for these items, you can use a promotion or create an separate tracked item that gives the customer monthly per hour a discount.

It is important to note that charges for tracked items are added to the customers regular recurring bill rather than being charged at a different date, but that the invoice in the payment receipt email will show tracked item charges as separate line items. Ultimately we think this makes fees easier for your customers to manage and saves you money by reducing the number of transactions we make for you.

This is just a suggestion based on what I know about your use case. It's possible there may be a better solution for you, so if you haven't done so already, read through the tracked items and examples section of the Pricing Plans Knowledge Base article. This article has tons of useful information about about how tracked items function and how they can be used to support a variety of billing models.

Let me know if you have any other questions, Rotem!

Meghan

6. Marcela Poffald closed this discussion on 11 Apr, 2018 04:06 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM