How do CG deal with Trial Periods on Plans?

Aditya Thakur

29 Aug, 2016 10:59 AM

Dear CG Team,

I am well aware of trials on cg plans and how to use them, but I am just confused with one thing about them : Billing Cycle
For example :
If I have a monthly plan and it offers 7 day trial period to customers. What will be the affect on customer bill cycle ?

Case 1 : First Bill Cycle would include those 7 days.

Case 2 : First Bill Cycle would eventually extend and would be for 1 month from the 8th day.

Also, would like to know how CG deals with repeating customers on Plans offering Trial Period ?

Case 1 : If customer cancels the subscription, then on subscription event plan would again include trial period.

Case 2 : Customer won't be given any trial period for the same plan.

I need to know these things asap, so would appreciate an swift reply.

Thanks & Regards,
Aditya Thakur

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 29 Aug, 2016 05:21 PM

Hi Aditya,

If I have a monthly plan and it offers 7 day trial period to customers. What will be the affect on customer bill cycle?

CG supports multiple ways to handle free trials, including the two options you mentioned. When you're configuring your pricing plans, you can set the initial bill date for new customers to be a month after sign-up or a specific number of days after sign-up (like 37 or 38 in the case of a seven day free trial). For either of these options, you'll want to set your product to not require a payment method for new sign-ups to a paid pricing plan and enable the bill reminder email notifications so you can prompt customers to give you their payment information before their first bill is due. Alternately, if you'd like to set-up a freemium model, you could create a free pricing plan that restricts customers' access to certain features of your application until they upgrade to a paid plan and use email notifications to prompt users to upgrade. You can find more detailed info about these pricing plan models on our Pricing Plan Basics knowledge base article.

Also, would like to know how CG deals with repeating customers on Plans offering Trial Period?

In CG, every customer has a unique code. No two customers can have the same code, so if a customer tries to sign-up again after canceling their account with a name and email address already associated with a customer code, they won't be able to create a new customer record which prevents them from accessing the free trial again. We recommend putting some checks in place on your application as well to prevent the same users from signing up multiple times just to get the free trial.

Let me know if you have any other questions as you're going through the set-up process! Happy to help.

Meghan

2. 2 Posted by Aditya Thakur on 29 Aug, 2016 05:58 PM

Hi Meghan,

I would need more clarification on Trial Periods, I have already looked up "Pricing Plan Basics" knowledge base article but didn't found what I was looking for.
    Same Example :
    If I have a monthly plan and it offers 7 day trial period to customers. I require my customers to enter card/paypal details on the signup itself before subscribing to any plan.

I would like to know following points specifically.

• Will plan be prepaid( currently looking for this) or postpaid? I mean there are two flows for billing.

• Prepaid: 7 days trial, then first bill occurs at 8th day.
      • Postpaid: 7 days trial and 1 month subscription = 37 days for first bill. ( What if user cancels before 37th day.)
    • In case of Prepaid Billing, how would the customer will be billed ?

• 7 days trial period will be included in bill ?
        Suppose if CUST_A subscribe to PLAN_A on 1st Aug,2016, first bill will occur at 8th Aug,2016, now what I want to know is what will be the date of next invoice; 1st Sept,2016 or 8th Sept,2016 ? [ IMPORTANT ]
      • What if customer cancels plan on 6th day, can he be charged any amount ? because if that happens it would contradict the meaning of free trial.

Kindly, help with these questions and let me know if you need any clarification on any of my question.

Thanks & Regards,
    Aditya Thakur

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan Turner on 29 Aug, 2016 07:21 PM

Hi Aditya,

Will plan be prepaid( currently looking for this) or postpaid?

You can choose to do either of the bill flow options you mentioned. When you configure the pricing plan, you can choose to set the initial bill date to be 8 days after the customer subscribes (pre-pay in your example) or 37 days after the customer subscribes (post pay in your example).

7 days trial period will be included in bill? Suppose if CUST_A subscribe to PLAN_A on 1st Aug,2016, first bill will occur at 8th Aug,2016, now what I want to know is what will be the date of next invoice; 1st Sept,2016 or 8th Sept,2016?

If they're on a monthly plan, they'll be billed 1 month after the date their first bill was due, so in the scenario you mentioned, it would be on the 8th of September.

What if customer cancels plan on 6th day, can he be charged any amount? because if that happens it would contradict the meaning of free trial.

The customer won't be charged if they cancel before the first bill becomes due, so in the scenario that the customer cancels on the 6th day of their subscription when they're scheduled to be billed on the 8th day, they would not be charged.

Let me know if you need any further clarification!

Meghan

4. 4 Posted by Aditya Thakur on 30 Aug, 2016 06:21 AM

Thanks Meghan, things are clear for me now. :)

Regards,
    Aditya Thakur

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Meghan Turner on 30 Aug, 2016 02:08 PM

Glad I could help! Since this is resolved, I'm going to close this discussion, but if you have any other questions about the set-up process, feel free start a new support discussion anytime.

Meghan

6. Meghan Turner closed this discussion on 30 Aug, 2016 02:08 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM