Stop Recurring Billing

Brian Vermeire

24 Aug, 2016 06:33 PM

Hi:

We have a member of our service who just renewed their account - however, they do not want to be automatically rebilled next year. They would like to do that manually. How do we stop this person's active account from being auto-billed next year? Is there a way to essentially shut off the auto-renew function on a member's account?

Thanks,

-Brian-

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 24 Aug, 2016 07:39 PM

Hi Brian,

The best way to handle this is to set the customer's payment method to external (you can do that in the edit subscription tab of the customer's account page in CheddarGetter). When the payment method is set to external, CG assumes that invoices are paid outside of the system, so won't automatically charge a card on file when an invoice becomes due. This means that when the customer's next annual subscription invoice becomes due, CG will assume it's paid, so if they want to continue their subscription, you'll have to remember to manually charge their card.

Alternately, since you have bill reminder email notifications enabled, instead of switching the payment method to external, you could mention to your customer that they'll get two bill reminder emails before their card is charged for the subscription again and that they can change their payment information or cancel their subscription when they receive the email notifications.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Meghan

2. 2 Posted by Brian Vermeire on 24 Aug, 2016 10:42 PM

Hi Meghan:

So if I switch it now to "External":
    1) Near the end of their membership will they still get email notifications saying their account is up for renewal?
    2) What happens if they want to then renew with a different card? Do they enter in the new billing info then at the end of the membership I manually switch them away from "External"?

I have seen a few others on the board here ask basically the same thing as I am. It would be great if CG could allow us to shut-off the auto-renew function in a subscriber's profile within CG. Could you relay this to the owners of CG? I think it would resolve this issue with others. The "External" workaround is not ideal.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan Turner on 25 Aug, 2016 07:42 PM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the feedback on this. I'll make sure our team is aware of your request. We have some updates happening in the near future and this is certainly something we'll consider.

I should have recommended the email notifications solution as the primary way to handle a situation like this because, to answer your first question, when the payment method is external the customer doesn't receive email notifications and, to answer your second question, you would have to manually switch them off of external payments to add a new credit card and to bill them via credit card for their subscription.

The bill reminder email notifications exist so that your customers are aware of any upcoming charges to their card and can easily cancel, change their subscription, or update their payment information before they're billed by using the button at the bottom of the email that links directly to your hosted payment page. If you'd like to give your customers a little more time to update their information, you can make adjustments to the number of days prior to the invoice bill date that the reminders are sent by visiting the product settings page of your admin dashboard here https://cheddargetter.com/admin/configuration/settings.

I hope that helps. My apologies for any confusion on this topic! My first response was a little unclear, so let me know if you have any other follow-up questions.

Meghan

4. Meghan Turner closed this discussion on 06 Oct, 2016 03:00 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM