Adding tracked items with overages in middle of billing period

EJ Rudy

16 Jun, 2016 03:17 AM

Hello-

Was curious about how tracked item costs are handled when they're added in the middle of the month. The ideal behavior that we'd like to achieve is have the system immediately bill for a prorated amount for the item, but I'm not sure that's possible in your system. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

EJ

1. 1 Posted by Drew Songer on 16 Jun, 2016 01:55 PM

Hi EJ,

Structurally, tracked items are designed to bill in arrears for usage amounts from the previous billing period. Due to this structure and the seemingly endless variants of prorating methods our different customers choose, we decided long ago not to prorate tracked items.

With that said, as long as you know how tracked items work structurally, you can create custom prorating with a one time invoice. When you add a tracked item that is to be prorated, create a onetime invoice to bill for the appropriate prorated amount. You will then be able to view the subsequent billing date as charging upfront for the tracked items that were added.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Best,
    Drew

2. 2 Posted by EJ Rudy on 16 Jun, 2016 06:27 PM

Hey Drew,

Understood. We actually already wrote some code to calculate out what the prorated cost should be, so it shouldn't be a far leap to create a one-time invoice from that calculation. I appreciate the help once again.

EJ

3. Drew Songer closed this discussion on 20 Jun, 2016 03:23 AM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM