Free plan till trackable item runs out

Russ Garabelis

29 Mar, 2016 09:58 PM

I would like to create a free trial account that will get paused after running out of a trackable item. In our case, we want the free trial to end after user sends n number of emails. Our goal would to push that free trial to a paid account.

Russ Garabelis

1. 1 Posted by Drew Songer on 30 Mar, 2016 02:05 PM

Hi Russ,

I would suggest just creating a free plan with a hard usage limit. In your case, you may not want the item quantity to reset every billing period, which would allow them to send a finite number of emails over the entire time they are on the free plan.

Best,
    Drew

2. 2 Posted by Drew Songer on 30 Mar, 2016 04:21 PM

Hi Russ,

After thinking about this a bit I thought it would be good to mention how this might work using the API. As your customers send emails, you would use the Add Item Quantity or Set Item Quantity API calls to update the customer's item quantity in CG. When you try to update the item quantity to an amount over the hard limit, CG will send a 412 error informing you that the item quantity is not allowed on the current plan. You could then use that error code to trigger something like a flash message in your application to up-sell the customer to a new plan.

This is just one example of how you could use tracked items in combination with your application logic to create extremely valuable functionality. I hope this opens up the door to the vast number of possibilities available with CG.

Best,
    Drew

3. Drew Songer closed this discussion on 09 Jun, 2016 04:05 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM