PCI validation type 4 for merchants, is it really required?

antoine

18 Jun, 2010 08:35 PM

Hello,
I read in earlier posts that CheddarGetter is PCI compliant since CG is not transmitting credit card data and that we (as merchants using CG) need to be compliant with PCI level 4. Why this ?
I just went through PCI certification for one of my clients in Europe, and we went through a thorough analysis of the different PCI levels with our acquiring bank, Visa and Amex.
- PCI validation type 1 is for "Card-not-present merchants, all cardholder data functions outsourced" : my application does not store the credit card information at anytime, the information is transmitted immediately to CheddarGetter. I am not doing any kind of validation on the credit card data. - PCI validation type 4 is for "Merchants with POS systems connected to the Internet, no electronic cardholder data storage" : my application is not a POS system. Why should the merchants using CheddarGetter go through validation type 4 (assuming no credit card data is stored in anyway)? That's 12 requirements instead of 2 !
Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 19 Jun, 2010 10:54 AM

While we're not PCI DSS experts, it's our understanding that, at a minimum, all merchants must attest to compliance with the merchant level 4 standard. This includes merchants the run up to 20,000 transactions/year and is the lowest level (an presumably contains the least number of requirements).

We're happy to provide any guidance we can but this question is better asked of a PCI expert like McAfee or Trustwave.

http://www.mcafeesecure.com/us/pci-howitworks.jsp

https://www.trustwave.com/pciDataSecurityStandard.php

2. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 19 Jun, 2010 10:54 AM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM