What is the best way to restart billing someone?

max

10 Jun, 2010 02:02 PM

I'm using the .net api wrapper and I've canceled a subscription, but I want to provide a way for the user to reactivate their account and continue using it without entering any additional information. Is there any way to "pause" billing, and then reactivate it later if the user decides they want to continue using our service?

Can I just remove their subscription and add it back? What is the best way?

Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 10 Jun, 2010 03:14 PM

Currently the only way to reactivate a subscription is by providing credit card information. This is necessary because CG ignores canceled subscriptions so there's no way to know if the payment method is still good. Typically subscriptions are canceled for non-payment so often the payment method must be updated anyway.

We have on our todo list a method to check the validity of the existing payment method when reactivating.

2. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 10 Jun, 2010 03:14 PM.

3. max re-opened this discussion on 11 Jun, 2010 01:18 AM

4. 2 Posted by max on 11 Jun, 2010 01:18 AM

I've read that, but it doesn't seem to help. I can send credit card information again, but it doesn't reactivate the customer. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marc Guyer on 11 Jun, 2010 01:36 PM

Max -- We're not able to replicate the behavior you describe. Do you have a testing account and specific customer we can use to attempt to replicate what you're experiencing?

6. 4 Posted by max on 11 Jun, 2010 04:04 PM

I was able to get it working by calling the UpdateCustomerAndSubscription. I was just calling UpdateCustomer.

I guess I just need a better understanding of how the system really works.

But I have it working good now.

The only complaint I have, which may be intentional... the last four digits of the credit card number come back as if they were stored as an integer on your side. If it has a leading zero, it is chopped off and I get a three character string back.

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Marc Guyer on 11 Jun, 2010 06:13 PM

It sounds like the .Net wrapper is typecasting it to an integer. I'm fairly certain that's not happing in the API.

8. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 11 Jun, 2010 06:13 PM.

9. max re-opened this discussion on 11 Jun, 2010 06:40 PM

10. 6 Posted by max on 11 Jun, 2010 06:40 PM

You are absolutely correct. I thought I checked that, but I must have looked at the wrong property. I changed it to a string from a nullable int and it works as expected.

Thanks

11. max closed this discussion on 11 Jun, 2010 06:41 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM