Reactivate cancelled account

Dan Kamins

05 Aug, 2015 03:32 AM

I have a customer subscription on a free trial. The trial expired, and so our system cancelled the account in CG. However I need to reactivate the account to give them more time.

The CG web interface says (e.g.):
"This subscription was canceled on 2015-08-01 by the customer or by customer inaction. Update payment method to activate."

But I can't update the payment method because it's a free trial with no payment info. How can I reactivate this account through the CG web UI?

Thank you!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 05 Aug, 2015 12:09 PM

Since there's an outstanding invoice, you should be able to run that invoice which will reactivate the subscription. If you have any trouble, send us a link to the customer record and we'll take a look.

2. 2 Posted by Dan Kamins on 06 Aug, 2015 02:26 AM

Thanks. I don't see an option to run the invoice, perhaps because it's $0?

This is the customer:
    https://cheddargetter.com/admin/invoices/get/id/c9a9dde6-9139-11e4-8d1b-005056a548e6

This comes up from time to time, so if there's a way we can handle it on our end, that would be great!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marc Guyer on 06 Aug, 2015 02:42 PM

Hi Dan -- The reason there's no "run" button is because it's not billable yet. It's scheduled for 1/1/16. If I'm not mistaken, you can edit the subscription and override the current bill date, setting it to today's date. That will transact the current invoice for 0.00 and reactivate the subscription.

4. 4 Posted by Dan Kamins on 07 Aug, 2015 02:10 AM

OK got it, thanks. But now the problem is that our system is immediately cancelling the trial right afterward because it looks similar to how we detect trials expiring (i.e. first invoice transacted on a free trial).

Are there perhaps any other tricks in the CG web admin that we might use to extend a cancelled account like this? E.g. I tried switching it to another free plan, but got an error "Plan change prorate on a canceled subscription is not allowed. Reactivate first."

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Marc Guyer on 07 Aug, 2015 03:43 PM

In that case, there's no way around it without modifying your hook receiver. I went ahead and manually reactivated the account for you.

The way to extend a trial period (or any invoice period for that matter) is to change the bill date for the current invoice prior to the invoice coming due. You can automate that using the bill reminder hook, for example. You could check in your hook listener if the invoice is the initial invoice (in a trial period) and if so, optionally extend the trial period. You could base it on some metric like the level of usage during the trial -- if usage is below some threshold, extend the trial and shoot the customer an email reminding them that their trial is ending but you've extended it to give them more time to kick the tires.

6. 6 Posted by Dan Kamins on 11 Aug, 2015 02:07 AM

OK, thanks.

7. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 11 Aug, 2015 12:47 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM