CheddarGateway + Chase Paymentech Canada

dan

31 May, 2012 03:14 PM

Is the CheddarGateway capable of interfacing with a Chase Paymentech Canada merchant account?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 01 Jun, 2012 01:48 PM

Hi Dan -- That's hard to say. Our gateway supports both Paymentech Salem and Tampa. One theory is that Paymentech Canada is synonymous with the Salem platform. We just don't know. We could try setting it up for you and see if a transaction processes. Along with the attached form, we need "Division Number" and "Aggregator Indicator".

Alternatively, we can help you get setup with a known solution through First Data Canada. I recommend going that route.

2. 2 Posted by dan on 07 Jun, 2012 03:05 PM

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply. Some documentation we found from when we set up our account with Chase seems to indicate that we're on the Tampa platform. I've attached the form with the information you requested, although the representative we spoke to didn't know anything about a Division Number or Aggregator Number. Might these go by some other name, or could you give an example of what they might be formatted like? They did give us a PNS (12 digits, basically our account number) and SIC/MCC (4 digits, something to do with our type of business).

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marc Guyer on 12 Jun, 2012 01:39 PM

Hi Dan -- Sorry for the delay. We can give that a try but before we do, you'll need to sign up for the "Blowing Up" plan here:

https://cheddargetter.com/admin/billing

4. 4 Posted by dan on 12 Jun, 2012 03:04 PM

Hey Marc,

Is there any way to find out if this is even going to work for us before we start paying for another service? Our main priority at this time is determining if Cheddargetter will be a viable alternative to our current solution that we are intending to move away from. Having to pay for both services concurrently before even knowing that answer would be a bit of a deterrent for us, as a starving startup. Once we know your gateway can work with our merchant account (or barring that, if we can determine it will be worth our while to switch to another merchant provider that it will work with), then we will be more than excited to make that switch.

Does this make sense?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Marc Guyer on 12 Jun, 2012 03:22 PM

Unfortunately no. However, CG doesn't start billing until a month passes. If we determine that this method is not possible, we can downgrade your account back to developer mode.

6. 6 Posted by dan on 12 Jun, 2012 04:42 PM

Oh, well that should be plenty of time to get things into place. We've gone ahead and upgraded our plan.

7. 7 Posted by adam on 12 Jun, 2012 06:36 PM

Ok Dan, I initialized your Cheddar Gateway account, and you should have received an email with login credentials. Now you just need to configure the gateway a bit, then add your gateway credentials to your CheddarGetter account. The process is documented here:
    http://support.cheddargetter.com/kb/getting-started-19/configuring-...

It seems to have accepted the Paymentech Tampa credentials, so you should be good to go.

Adam

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Marc Guyer on 12 Jun, 2012 10:18 PM

Hi Dan - I suggest running a test transaction once you get setup to make sure things are working properly. Let us know how it goes.

9. 9 Posted by dan on 15 Jun, 2012 01:09 PM

Hey guys,

I get the following error when I try to perform an authorization on my Visa:

Transaction Failed Processor Response: Invalid merchant configuration

Would this be a result of settings in our CheddarGateway account that we can address, or is this on your side of things? Does this mean the gateway won't work with our merchant account after all?

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Marc Guyer on 15 Jun, 2012 02:26 PM

Hi Dan -- I was afraid of that. It's possible that it can be fixed but I'm just not sure. We've never tried to setup a Paymentech Canada account before. We have it setup as a Paymentech Tampa account with PNS=87064410012 and TerminalId=001. That's all I know. I suggest getting in touch with your merchant account provider to see if they have any more information.

11. 11 Posted by dan on 18 Jun, 2012 04:49 PM

Hey Marc,

The PNS the folks at Chase gave us originally is 000010158559. Maybe that's the ticket here?

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Marc Guyer on 19 Jun, 2012 01:26 PM

That was successful. One thing: AVS appears to be required on every transaction. My first transaction attempt failed with a response from the processor of "AVS Required". My second attempt included the address information and was successful. That's not a huge deal but it does require that you pass in address data to CheddarGetter. Also, it's likely that you're paying extra for AVS evaluations even though you're not going to be using them. Since you're doing recurring billing, you should only test AVS on the first transaction. Incidentally, even though the processor requires AVS there no way, to my knowledge, to enforce that you're evaluating AVS and approving/declining based on the result. This activity is usually a gateway action - you configure the gateway to behave in a certain way based on the AVS result. However, it's possible that the AVS approve/decline logic is happening at the processor level. If that's the case, I strongly suggest that you negotiate that change with your merchant account provider or switch to a different merchant account. AVS declines are one of the biggest contributors to high decline rates. If a customer is declined for AVS after they've paid previously with the same card, it's a wasted decline and you will lose revenue.

Our partner, FD Canada, has been known to not require AVS.

13. 13 Posted by dan on 09 Jul, 2012 05:34 PM

Hmm, we never ran into any AVS issues when working with Authorize.NET. Might it just be that their Customer Information Manager submits address information with every transaction, while the CheddarGateway doesn't?

I've seen multiple currency compatibility mentioned in posts about the CheddarGateway. We are aiming to make the transition from charging USD to CAD as part of this implementation, but I haven't found where I'm supposed to choose currencies in CG or the gateway. Can you point me in the right direction?

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Marc Guyer on 10 Jul, 2012 02:37 PM

Hi Dan -- Sorry for the confusion. I've confirmed that your merchant account does not require AVS. You actually have the gateway AVS option set to require it. That's ok as long as you send the address info the CG.

I've seen multiple currency compatibility mentioned in posts about the CheddarGateway. We are aiming to make the transition from charging USD to CAD as part of this implementation, but I haven't found where I'm supposed to choose currencies in CG or the gateway. Can you point me in the right direction?

This is tricky. First of all, your current merchant account is only capable of accepting USD. You'll need a new merchant account. We can help you get one from First Data Canada. If you'd like to explore that option, just fill out the form here: https://cheddargetter.com/admin/gateway/new

Once you have a merchant account that can accept CAD, you'd need a second CheddarGetter account. Then you'd have one accepting USD and one accepting CAD.

15. 15 Posted by dan on 10 Jul, 2012 03:10 PM

Oh, thanks for that heads up. We were under the impression that our current merchant account was capable of accepting CAD. We will work this out with them ASAP.

Our plan was to make the switch and accept CAD only rather than CAD and USD concurrently; but now that I think of it, I'm not terribly well schooled on the merits of accepting multiple currencies when dealing with international sales. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the subject, or to check out any external resources you might recommend.

Assuming for a moment that we stick with plan A and want to switch to CAD when we transition over to using CG in production, is this something that can be done quickly and painlessly? For example, if I was to finish building out everything in our CG account as-is, can our pricing plans and gateway be toggled from USD to CAD when we're ready to pull the trigger rather than having to reconstruct everything or open a new account?

If we instead went the multiple currency route, is there no way to configure a single CG account to work with multiple currencies? If we require a separate CG account for each currency, would we be required to pay for each one (and the gateway to go with each)?

Thanks again for your help. I think we're almost there now.

16. Support Staff 16 Posted by Marc Guyer on 11 Jul, 2012 05:56 PM

Oh, thanks for that heads up. We were under the impression that our current merchant account was capable of accepting CAD. We will work this out with them ASAP.

If I'm not mistaken, Paymentech Tampa is not capable of transacting in anything but USD. I think they have a platform called Salem that can do other currencies. I still suggest FD Canada for CAD. It's a known solution that we've setup in the past. Paymentech Salem is a platform that we havent setup before to my knowledge. Proceed on that course at your own risk.

Our plan was to make the switch and accept CAD only rather than CAD and USD concurrently; but now that I think of it, I'm not terribly well schooled on the merits of accepting multiple currencies when dealing with international sales. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the subject, or to check out any external resources you might recommend.

We can switch your current account over to CAD. That's not a problem. You can have both at the same time as well. There's no doubt that people like to pay in their native currency and that increases conversions. It's only significant at high volume, however, and only for certain business models. USD performs best as a non-native currency. That leads me to wonder why you want to make this switch. Maybe the majority of your market is in Canada?

Assuming for a moment that we stick with plan A and want to switch to CAD when we transition over to using CG in production, is this something that can be done quickly and painlessly? For example, if I was to finish building out everything in our CG account as-is, can our pricing plans and gateway be toggled from USD to CAD when we're ready to pull the trigger rather than having to reconstruct everything or open a new account?

Yes.

If we instead went the multiple currency route, is there no way to configure a single CG account to work with multiple currencies?

Not currently but it's on the todo list.

If we require a separate CG account for each currency, would we be required to pay for each one (and the gateway to go with each)?

No, only one account would be charged the monthly fee plus transactions. Other accounts would be charged transaction fees only. The gateway is included.

17. 17 Posted by dan on 22 Nov, 2012 04:58 PM

Hi again, Marc,

As you can probably see in our account, we never did end up finding the time to finish up this integration before getting sidetracked on some other more critical projects. I was reminded today by our office manager that we're being charged monthly for Cheddargetter despite not actually using it yet, so I'm just poking my head in here to cancel our account for the time being until we're ready to proceed with the integration and finally switch over to using your service. We still have every intention of doing so, but we just don't have the resources to sink into it at the moment. If there's any chance you guys can throw us a bone for the fees we've paid for what we haven't been using, be it a partial refund or future credit, we'd be pretty grateful.

Thanks for your help up to this point. Looking forward to when we can continue working with you again!

18. 18 Posted by adam on 26 Nov, 2012 03:36 PM

Hi Dan, your Blowing Up account is now canceled. When you're ready to pick this back up, you can just log back in and enter your credit card information to reactivate. You will also have a one-month credit on the account when you reactivate.

Thanks,
    Adam

19. Dean closed this discussion on 23 Jan, 2013 05:37 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM