error when editing Global Footer

Geoff Treitel

07 May, 2010 02:37 AM

Marc,

Thanks for the feedback. I have edited as you instructed. My new problem:

1. I removed the following HTML in the Global Email Footer.

Thanks again for using {$product.name}! {if $defaultUri}
{$defaultUri} {/if}

1. I then click SAVE CHANGES.

2. I get 2 errors

Error 1: An error was encountered while attempting to validate the SMTP settings. The error message returned by was "'' is an invalid hostname, '' is an invalid hostname". Please ensure that the settings for your SMTP provider are correct. If you continue to have problems, please contact support.

Error 2: Form validation failed. See below.

1. The funny thing is I have been using the CG product for about a month now with these settings

SMTP Host = null
SMTP Authentication Username= null
SMTP Encryption = None
SMTP Port = 25

These are the default settings. I never edited them. They have worked fine for us. Nothing marked as spam.

If I wish to edit the Global Email Footer, should I populate the null fields?

As these emails are not being marked as spam and appear to be working fine, I am hesitant to change something that is not broken.
I will talk to our System/Network admin, he may recommend we set SMTP settings anyway.

thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 07 May, 2010 03:56 PM

Whoops. We made some recent changes to the custom SMTP settings config and they were inadvertently required.

I recommend setting up your own SMTP anyway. Your sys admin will probably recommend the same. SendGrid hits the mark and is very inexpensive. The drawback to using the default settings is that you're effectively using the same SMTP as all other CG customers with the default settings. The likelihood of the default SMTP becoming compromised (on a blacklist or other issue) is high as time goes on.

Either way, we've just released a patch that should allow you to change the default footer without messing with the SMTP settings.

2. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 07 May, 2010 03:56 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM