positive billing confirmation at end of trial

Andrew Bailey

16 Jan, 2012 12:02 PM

Hi Marc, we have been working with Payvision to sort out a payment solution. They are insisting that at the end of the trial period the customer should positively confirm that they want to be billed and their cc charged to continue to use the product.

I was intending to collect and verify cc and billing information on signup and then issue a reminder a week before expiry of the trial period that they would be automatically billed/charged at the end of the trial period unless they clicked on a link in the email to cancel the account. However, this is not how Payvision want it to work.

My question is, is there a way to collect cc information when a customer signs up, but for CG not to automatically charge without some sort of positive confirmation from the customer?

Thanks

Andrew

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 18 Jan, 2012 03:05 PM

Hi Andrew -- Sorry for the delay...

They are insisting that at the end of the trial period the customer should positively confirm that they want to be billed and their cc charged to continue to use the product.

Traditionally this is achieved by having a free trial without a payment method. Then the customer must enter a credit card to continue using the service.

My question is, is there a way to collect cc information when a customer signs up, but for CG not to automatically charge without some sort of positive confirmation from the customer?

Not natively. However, you could achieve something like this by artificially extending the trial period in CG. Then your app would do the notification of expiration prior to the "real" trial expiration. Then, after some sort of grace period, your app would cancel the account if they hadn't "confirmed".

My suggestion is that you shouldn't require CC for the free trial anyway. You will find a drastically increased conversion rate from traffic to free trial accounts when the free trial doesn't require a cc. Your conversion rate from free->paid will be much less than if you require credit cards but the gross free->paid conversions would likely be much higher. This is a guess of course but I think it holds true in the vast majority of business models.

2. 2 Posted by Andrew Bailey on 18 Jan, 2012 04:48 PM

Hello Marc,

Thanks for your reply. I will run with not asking for CC details on sign up. It's probably the best way anyway. I suppose the easiest way to do this is actually to use your hosted payment pages. Hoping that we will be up and running with Payvision fairly soon. It has taken a long long time (our fault, not theirs!).

Regards

Andrew

--
    Mousetrap
    Sent with Sparrow (http://bit.ly/sigsprw)

3. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 18 Jan, 2012 04:55 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM