immediate declined or approved response vs hook

's Avatar

stephenrhyne

03 Mar, 2010 05:03 AM

I'm trying to layout my new user workflow and I am having a hard time deciding on which to do first. It's like the chicken or the egg

I can't find anywhere in the docs that says you can get an immediate "declined" or "approved" response from a new client. I know I can get this post transaction later in a hook. However, I would love to be able to charge, check approval, then instantiate a user instead of having to "trust" the user and do a post "check" later to see if his payment went through.

Maybe just having a one or two day trial is the way to go that way their is no hurdle to getting "in" and they can just add the cc info later when they are already a user.

After reading the error logs a little more I noticed that if you have a subscription one time fee setup you can receive an approved or declined response. So my ? is why is this data point not in the regular recurring billing charge?

Ok, thank you for your time! Be well.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 03 Mar, 2010 01:16 PM

You'll probably find this article interesting: http://support.cheddargetter.com/faqs/api-8/error-simulation

Real-time card verification occurs when initially subscribing a customer with credit card information if you have the CIM verification mode set to do verification in the gateway config. The verification mode is irrelevant, however, if you are simulating errors using the technique in the article above.

It is possible to charge the customer immediately for a setup fee, a recurring fee, or both. This is configured in the pricing plan. In the case where the subscribed plan has a charge configured to be billed immediately on signup, the charge might be declined. To simulate this, you may use the "delayed error simulation" discussed in the article mentioned earlier.

2. 2 Posted by Stephen Rhyne on 03 Mar, 2010 10:58 PM

So am I right in thinking that I can use a small setup fee as a way to check for card authorization instantly upon receving a client creation response WITHOUT having the gateway and CIM setting setup?

Or am I stressing to much. Is there a data point that tells me "all is good" in the response that I should use. Again, I am trying to avoid using the POST hook.

On another note maybe you could direct me to a more hight level tut on a good sign up workflow. thank you.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marc Guyer on 04 Mar, 2010 05:31 PM

I don't think you're stressing too much. I completely understand where you're coming from.

First, are you using an API wrapper. In the PHP wrapper, for example, it's easy to get the error information from the last request. http://github.com/marcguyer/cheddargetter-client-php If the last request contained an error, an exception is thrown and can be caught and examined accordingly.

The nitty gritty of it is in the XML. If the last request resulted in a an error, the xml will either contain the error only or a customer xml response with an embedded error node. I'd recommend reading this if you're interested in knowing more about errors in the xml: http://support.cheddargetter.com/faqs/api-8/error-handling.

If you want to check something else, you can look at the transaction node of the most recently billed invoice. If the response is approved, you're good. I'd think that you were stressing too much if you did that though.

You could always try simulating an error and see what happens.

4. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 18 May, 2010 01:50 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM