Using Hosted Payment Pages with Rails..?

ebyte

22 Dec, 2011 12:51 PM

I want to use CheddarGetter's hosted payment pages in a Rails app that I'm developing, but I'm a little confused as to how it works. I've read http://support.cheddargetter.com/kb/hosted-payment-pages/hosted-pay... over and over but I still have a few questions.

I understand that this will be the process if I integrate this with my app:

User signs up at my site -> redirected to pay at CheddarGetter -> redirected to my site's log-in page -> check CheddarGetter if customer record exists -> if yes, let them in the site; if no, deny access

Sounds good. My question basically revolves around the customer key... When exactly should I generate it? As I understand it, I'll be creating this token once the user is created. Should this token be passed on to CG, and will CG store it? How should I pass it to CG?

Is this what's being validated in CG before log in? I can make it so that my app stores the unique customer key for each customer. I need to, because if I'm going to provide cancellation and update links they need to include the customer key.

Sorry if it sounds a little bit over the place. I wish you guys had a screencast or something on how to integrate CG with Rails at it seems to be a great solution for SaaS apps.

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by ebyte on 22 Dec, 2011 03:25 PM

A few hours later, I've figured out a few answers.

YES, you do have to create the MD5 sum when your user first signs up. I don't think CG stores this, so I just stored it in my own database, and pull it out when I need to reference (giving customers links to update or cancel their plans).

Now if I can only figure out how to check customer status after log-in, I'm signing up for CG in a jiffy :)

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Marc Guyer on 22 Dec, 2011 03:42 PM

CG doesn't store the customer key but it is easily generated on-the-fly. This is recommended since the secret key could change in the future. You have the ability to change it if you think it was compromised in some way.

Now if I can only figure out how to check customer status after log-in, I'm signing up for CG in a jiffy :)

There are two ways to check status. The quick way is to use the status request feature of the hosted pages as documented here:

https://articledesk.chargevault.com/status?code=joedoe%40gmail.com&...

Alternatively, you can use the API to get customer info and determine status. The ruby wrapper makes this quite easy.

3. 3 Posted by ebyte on 22 Dec, 2011 03:54 PM

Hey Marc, thanks for the reply. I'm pretty much set on using the first method to request customer status prior to log in. I'm just not very familiar with Net::HTTP , and how exactly to use the Ruby code provided here. If you guys could give me a nod towards a particular direction, I'd really appreciate it.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Marc Guyer on 22 Dec, 2011 04:01 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Net::HTTP is a standard Ruby lib so you can just use it. Have you tried that example code?

5. 5 Posted by ebyte on 22 Dec, 2011 04:07 PM

I would, if I knew where exactly to put it in my Rails app. But I'm researching on that now, hopefully I'll figure it out soon.

6. 6 Posted by ebyte on 24 Dec, 2011 12:13 AM

I ended up figuring this out, finally. CG team, I wish you guys had an official screencast or a tutorial on integrating CG with Rails, as it really is a great solution once you have it working!

7. 7 Posted by adam on 24 Dec, 2011 02:14 PM

One of our devs is currently working on revising and improving the cheddargetter-client-rails gem:
    https://github.com/BrentW/cheddargetter_client_rails

Once he finishes that (next month or so) I'll work on getting a screencast together. That's a good idea.

Thanks,
    Adam

8. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 28 Dec, 2011 05:57 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM