How to tell whether a customer will be charged on reactivation

Chris White

31 May, 2014 03:40 PM

I read the following article:

http://support.cheddargetter.com/kb/operational-how-tos/what-happen...

The product that I'm working on launching will have a 1-month free trial period.

If an existing, paying user chooses to cancel their account, I understand from that article that recurring charges will begin again 1 month after re-activation.

The scenario I'm wondering about is trial users whose accounts get canceled due to trial expiration. I would expect that these users will be charged for the first time immediately upon entering payment information.

Is there a way in the API response to distinguish between a canceled user that will be billed immediately and a user that will be billed a month following reactivation?

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 01 Jun, 2014 02:21 PM

Hi Chris -- Nice to hear from you.

If an existing, paying user chooses to cancel their account, I understand from that article that recurring charges will begin again 1 month after re-activation.

This is true for a "long" cancel. If it's a "short" cancel, the existing future payment date remains the effective next transaction. You could override each of these, if you choose, but using the changeBillDate param upon reactivation.

The scenario I'm wondering about is trial users whose accounts get canceled due to trial expiration. I would expect that these users will be charged for the first time immediately upon entering payment information.

This is correct.

Is there a way in the API response to distinguish between a canceled user that will be billed immediately and a user that will be billed a month following reactivation?

Yes. If the subscription has an outstanding invoice that was due prior to cancellation, then that invoice will be transacted on reactivation.

2. Jess Pendley closed this discussion on 04 Sep, 2014 04:49 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM