Customer was declined

Elise M Hastings

18 Jan, 2017 10:46 PM

I'm investigating why one of my customers was declined –

record: https://cheddargetter.com/admin/customers/get/id/0b520e9a-ddce-11e6...

What happened here?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan Turner on 18 Jan, 2017 11:04 PM

Hi Elise,

I'll look into this. I'll get back to you with more information shortly.

Meghan

2. 2 Posted by Elise Hastings on 19 Jan, 2017 04:04 AM

Thank you Meghan,

Please let me know as quickly as possible because we need to get this
    customer signed up. He also says he wasn't sent an error message that his
    credit card wasn't accepted? Why did this happen? Shouldn't he have
    received some sort of notification?

Best,
    Elise

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan Turner on 19 Jan, 2017 03:53 PM

Hi Elise,

I dug into our logs and on this transaction request, the gateway (Promise Pay) returned an error response of Unprocessable Entity (422) with the additional detail that this was an Invalid Payment Type. There are a couple of potential reasons this error occurred, so I'm checking in with the Promise Pay team to see if they can give us more information about why this particular transaction was declined. There's a chance it could be the issuer declining the transaction in which case the customer will need to reach out to their bank or credit card company to see why the transaction was declined, but I hope the Promise Pay team will be able to confirm if this is the case. In the meantime, you could ask the customer to try to sign-up with a different payment method.

Not sure why your customer wouldn't have seen an error message, though. CheddarGetter registered the result of this transaction as a 422 6000 error (general transaction decline), so you should have gotten an API response with the error. While we're waiting for Promise Pay, I'll look into this a little more, but you may also want to have a look at your integration to make sure it's handling errors properly (in case you need it, there's more info about error handling in CG in our Error Handling Knowledge Base article.

I'll get back to you with more information as soon as I can.

Meghan

4. 4 Posted by Elise Hastings on 19 Jan, 2017 04:16 PM

Thanks Meghan,

Let me know as soon as you hear back from promise pay. Let me know if I
    should reach out to them as well.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Meghan Turner on 19 Jan, 2017 09:43 PM

Hi Elise,

Promise Pay has been looking into this issue and they've discovered that payments made with American Express cards aren't routing properly on their on end which is resulting in declined transactions when processing payments from American Express cards (your customer whose transaction was declined was using an American Express card). Their dev team is still trying to find a fix for this and they haven't yet given me an estimate on how much time they'll need to complete it. For the time being, you may want to have your customers avoid signing-up with an American Express card as their payment method.

We'll do our best to urge them to find a solution quickly! I'll keep you updated.

Meghan

6. 6 Posted by Elise Hastings on 19 Jan, 2017 09:46 PM

Thank you very much for the speedy response and keeping us appraised of what's going on.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Meghan Turner on 20 Jan, 2017 10:00 PM

Hi Elise,

Good news! The American Express routing issue that PromisePay was having has been resolved. They told us they've tested and confirmed that you should have no issues processing AMEX through your marketplace moving forward, but please let us know if you see unusual transaction errors continuing to occur.

Meghan

8. 8 Posted by Elise Hastings on 20 Jan, 2017 10:02 PM

Thanks Meghan!

9. Meghan Turner closed this discussion on 03 Feb, 2017 03:29 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM