API does not honor "Require payment method on paid subscriptions" flag being unchecked

nikolas

22 Sep, 2011 01:11 PM

On Configuration => Settings => "Require payment method on paid subscriptions" is unchecked

I have tried:

• create a user for a PAID plan via the api, without specifying any of the cc fields => fails with "precondition failed", it refers to the cc fields not being set
  • create a user for a FREE via the api, and then update the subscription to a paid plan (only changing the planCode) => fails with "precondition failed", it refers to the cc fields not being set

In the cheddar Web GUI it's slightly different:

• create a user for a PAID plan, without specifying any of the cc fields => fails and highlights the cc fields
  • create a user for a FREE, and then update the subscription to a paid plan (only changing the planCode) => WORKS

Is that expected behavior? This seems like an error.
Does the Web GUI use the API in the back end? If so what API method is used to update the customers?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 23 Sep, 2011 02:04 PM

Hi Nikolas -- That option can be a bit misleading. CG will only allow signup on a paid plan without payment information if the plan bills in the future. Your 'test-plan-monthly-20' on you dev account, for example, bills on signup. Payment information is required when a transaction is executed.

2. 2 Posted by nikolas on 23 Sep, 2011 02:09 PM

Ah ok, makes sense.

One question though, why can I switch the customer to this plan after creation (via Web GUI), even though the customer does not have payment info yet. The same however is not possible via the API (as described in the second part of my question).

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marc Guyer on 23 Sep, 2011 02:41 PM

Generally the same logic is used for API requests and GUI requests. If you're more specific about the behavior, we can take a look.

4. 4 Posted by nikolas on 23 Sep, 2011 02:53 PM

As I described above:

• create a user for a FREE plan without specifying payment details
    • then go to the customer details and change the plan (nothing else) to the 'test-plan-monthly-20'

This works without any issues, even though the plan requires a payment right on signup.
    Also if you look into the invoice history you can then see that the system actually created an invoice for the period from today until the end of the first billing period and even marked it as completed (which I assume means paid), even though there are still no payment details.
    Additionally an invoice for the next month is pending.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Marc Guyer on 23 Sep, 2011 03:22 PM

I see two customers in your account, both with payment information:

https://cheddargetter.com/admin/customers/get/id/47f83bfc-e5e7-11e0...

https://cheddargetter.com/admin/customers/get/id/752c6f56-e5e9-11e0...

If you create a customer account that displays the behavior you describe, we can take a look.

6. 6 Posted by nikolas on 23 Sep, 2011 03:37 PM

Done.

https://cheddargetter.com/admin/customers/get/id/4faec0c0-e5f9-11e0...

As you can see

• Invoice #6 is marked with "Billed on: 2011-09-23" on and the corresponding transaction is marked "APPROVED - COMPLETED"
    • Invoice #7 is marked as "Scheduled to bill on: 2011-10-23"
  7. Dean closed this discussion on 16 Jan, 2013 09:43 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM