Paypal API error

lux

16 May, 2011 04:09 PM

I'm getting a "The application is not authorized for the user" error when I add my Paypal API info. I've verified I've entered the primary email address and the info is exactly the same as on the Paypal site.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 16 May, 2011 05:15 PM

Hi Lux -- We're currently working with PayPal to fix this issue. It appears to be a configuration issue on the PayPal side.

2. 2 Posted by justin on 16 May, 2011 10:51 PM

Are there any estimates on when this will be resolved?

Thanks,
    Justin

3. 3 Posted by Elias on 17 May, 2011 12:16 AM

I just tried again and nothing... :(

no eta on this?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Marc Guyer on 17 May, 2011 12:26 AM

Apologies for the delay. We've been working with PayPal today to try to get this worked out. It's a fairly complicated problem and I'm still confident that we can get it worked out the way we intended and had discussed with PayPal months ago. I hope to have more information tomorrow.

There is a workaround. We did not intend for this to be the workflow but it is an option right now. The PayPal X platform has an approval process to obtain an "AppID" specific to your PayPal account. This process took us several weeks to get an AppID but I'm told that another approval process would be faster since the CheddarGetter app has already been approved.

I suggest hanging on for another short time while we continue to work with PayPal on this issue. This is not a technological limitation, but rather a policy that doesn't seem to have much basis in reality. I'll have more for you soon.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Marc Guyer on 17 May, 2011 02:25 PM

Ok, we have another call scheduled with some PayPal folks this evening. So, hopefully what will come out of that is an easier workflow for our customers.

In the meantime, all PayPal merchants are going to have to get their own AppID. This is in your best interests anyway as PayPal could shut down an AppID at any time if they suspect foul play. If you have your own AppID, you'll be protected from other merchants' potentially nefarious activities.

The standard process for getting your own AppID starts at http://x.com. Login there with your PayPal account, then click on "My Apps" and then "Submit New App". Here's a direct link: https://www.x.com/create-appvetting-app!input.jspa. They'll ask you some questions only a developer would know but don't worry if you're not a developer -- this process is just a formality in order to get your own AppID. CheddarGetter is already "approved" but it turns out that we can't use our own AppID to execute the payment process on your behalf.

We are working on some changes to this article to help guide you through this process: http://support.cheddargetter.com/kb/getting-started-19/configuring-...

Lastly, please send us a message containing your PayPal email address. The more the better! We will provide a list of those email addresses to PayPal this evening so as to expedite this AppID process for you.

6. 6 Posted by Matt Swanson on 17 May, 2011 02:45 PM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: Paypal API error

Was really looking forward to getting this set up with my clients this morning, but I too am having the issue. Went ahead and signed up to get an AppID but would like to get started ASAP. Do we have any new info on this? Thanks!

7. 7 Posted by Gerald Anderson on 17 May, 2011 03:02 PM

Also having problem and will get APP_ID.

8. 8 Posted by info on 17 May, 2011 07:29 PM

Have signed up for APP ID. My email is [email blocked]

Thanks!

9. 9 Posted by Declan on 17 May, 2011 09:33 PM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Paypal API error

My Paypal (New API) payment system was working fine until I upgraded to VM 1.1.8. Now when I try to complete a purchase, I get this error. Is this related to the same issue on this forum which you are working to resolve?

Invalid Credit Card Number or Credit Card Verification Code.
    Error: Invalid Credit Card Number or Credit Card Verification Code.
    Error: Failure in Processing the Payment (ps_paypal_api)
    Invalid Credit Card Number or Credit Card Verification Code

Thanks

Declan

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Marc Guyer on 17 May, 2011 11:24 PM

Alrighty. After a lengthy call with several folks at PayPal, we have a solution. We will be enabling support for PayPal within the next 36 hours or so. Hopefully sooner.

This solution means that you DO NOT have to submit an application to PayPal to get your own AppId (though that would have worked, too). Sorry for sending some of you on a wild goose chase.

Once we have some code changes in place, you will only need to enter your PayPal account email address. The bad news is that, at least for a short time, the preapproval workflow (your customers' experience) will display something like "ChargeVault Subscriptions" or "Subscription Manager" (we haven't decided yet) instead of the name of your business. This is something we've been working with PayPal to avoid but it turns out that it's just not possible at present. Even though your business name isn't displayed, transactions will go to your business.

The good news is that this is only temporary. PayPal is already in development of a new feature for us to change this functionality (I think they feel a bit guilty). Their estimate is approximately one month (we're planning on two). Once that feature is in place, we will be able to change our integration to display your business name in the preapproval workflow. You will need to do nothing.

So, sit tight for a day or so while we flip a few switches and turn a few knobs. We'll let you know when it's ready for prime time (again).

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Marc Guyer on 18 May, 2011 09:32 PM

Ok, we're good to go. You can now configure your live PayPal billing solution.

12. 12 Posted by justin on 18 May, 2011 09:45 PM

When I add my paypal email address on stage 6 (https://cheddargetter.com/admin/setup/thank-you) I get the following error:

Failed updating PayPal settings. PayPal said:

One of the required parameters for subscription is missing

Is there something else I need to do?

13. 13 Posted by Elias on 18 May, 2011 09:46 PM

I just tried to setup the PayPal billing solution, currently there is only 2 fields
    PayPal email address which I enter correctly and the currency.

And I got this error

One of the required parameters for subscription is missing

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Marc Guyer on 18 May, 2011 09:52 PM

Sorry guys. We're looking at this.

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Marc Guyer on 18 May, 2011 10:03 PM

This is an undocumented error. The missing parameter is not one that is accepted by the related API call. We have a ticket in with PayPal.

16. Support Staff 16 Posted by Marc Guyer on 19 May, 2011 05:02 AM

Ok. This is fixed. It turns out that there are undocumented fields required in the live environment which are not required in sandbox.

Please let me know if you have further problems.

17. 17 Posted by info on 19 May, 2011 07:49 AM

All works fine for me, thanks for sorting this Marc!

18. 18 Posted by justin on 19 May, 2011 07:50 AM

I'm now receiving this error on the same page.

The limit for total amount of all payments exceeds the preapproval limit

19. 19 Posted by Nick on 19 May, 2011 08:57 AM

I'm getting the same error.

20. Support Staff 20 Posted by Marc Guyer on 19 May, 2011 11:41 AM

Geez. This is embarrassing. There's absolutely no way we could have seen this coming in the sandbox. Thanks for being the guinea pigs. Again, we need to contact PayPal. I'll update you as soon as we have more info.

21. 21 Posted by gavinbell on 19 May, 2011 12:07 PM

I'm too am getting an error message on the live billing solution setup page after entering my email address and setting the currency to GBP.

"The limit for total amount of all payments exceeds the preapproval limit"

22. 22 Posted by Elias on 19 May, 2011 03:40 PM

I was able to setup paypal and we are testing and getting the following error from the Create Customer API call

Error: A value is required.

We are passing all required params to the call as stated on the Create New Customer and using PayPal with the API article.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

23. 23 Posted by Elias on 19 May, 2011 05:57 PM

Can anyone help me on this error? Error: A value is required.

24. 24 Posted by Elias on 19 May, 2011 06:08 PM

Nevermind... we found the error.

Thanks anyways.

25. Support Staff 25 Posted by Marc Guyer on 19 May, 2011 07:26 PM

Alright -- It seems that PayPal fixed things in their config. As of 2011-05-19 15:43:55 UTC we're seeing successful preapprovals.

26. 26 Posted by justin on 19 May, 2011 07:31 PM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: PayPal GBP

Is that regarding this error as I'm still getting it?

27. 27 Posted by Elias on 19 May, 2011 07:40 PM

I have setup a couple of accounts using paypal, everything seems to be flowing correctly.

But we noticed something while testing the subscription signup, and we hope this change in the future, what we notice was that there is a $200 pre-approval limit and our guess is that this is setup so we ALL (CheddarGetter Customer) can start using paypal.

In the future, will this $200 pre approval limit display the actual amount setup in CheddarGetter for the plan?

Name: ChargeVault Subscriptions
    Start: May 19, 2011 May 19, 2011 11:59:59 PDT
    End: May 19, 2012 May 19, 2012 11:59:59 PDT
    Maximum amount per payment: $200.00 USD
    Maximum payments each period: 1
    Payments remaining this period: 1

Also, is the billing limit a default value provided by paypal or CG?

Bill Term
    Initiated Date May 18, 2011
    Billing Limit $10,000.00 USD (per month)
    Total Billed This Cycle $0.00 USD

We bring these questions up because we might not convert customers as easy, these numbers might scare them away, and is a bit confusing to explain briefly and transparent in a signup page.

Even though we now that this is not the actual amount the customer will pay.

28. Support Staff 28 Posted by Marc Guyer on 19 May, 2011 07:46 PM

Justin -- We see your error and PayPal has been notified. We don't see a reason why some are succeeding and some are failing.

Elias -- Thanks for confirming. As for the "Maximum amount per payment", we had to add the $200 to get things to work. It's not supposed to be required but for some reason it is right now. We're working with PayPal to determine why. It's probably just a config. We're trying to remove the "Maximum payments each period" as well.

29. 29 Posted by Elias on 19 May, 2011 08:14 PM

Got it.

Thanks

30. 30 Posted by Gavin on 19 May, 2011 08:58 PM

I've still been getting the error...

"The limit for total amount of all payments exceeds the preapproval limit"

When I changed my currency type from GBP to USD it all worked. Great that it's working, shame it's in USD.

Gavin

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM