What does "monthly" billing mean?

chris

07 Mar, 2011 04:42 PM

I'm having trouble understanding what the algorithm for monthly billing is and am hoping you can clarify. To me, it's once a month. Here are some examples to illustrate my confusion, and these are real world examples:

Customer A signed up on 1/1. He was billed again on 2/1. This is the expected behavior.

Customer B signed up on 1/31. He was billed again on 3/2. This is not the expected behavior.

The situation that made me notice this is that salesperson M is on commission. Guess what her commission is for customer B in February? Hint: salesperson M is not happy.

So, can you explain the algorithm for when customers are billed?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 07 Mar, 2011 04:48 PM

The oddity arises with the end of the month and the difference in the number of days in each month. CG simply adds a month to the previous invoice. When adding a month to 1/31, it actually ends up being 3/2. That customer will then forever be billed on the 2nd of the month.

2. 2 Posted by chris on 07 Mar, 2011 05:00 PM

OK, so salesperson M is sad for February, and we'll almost never have any billing take place on the 31st of the month, and every March should have very few billings on the 29th, 30th and 31st since only people who sign up on that day will get billed, previous months will not be billed in Feb.

IOW, if I sign up on Aug 31, I won't have to pay in Sept either since there are only 30 days and my bill rolls over to Oct 1. No wonder we have these massive revenue spikes at the beginning of the month...

3. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 04 Apr, 2011 07:15 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM