issue with VISA cc validation

Gregory Zimerman

25 Feb, 2011 07:29 PM

Hi Marc, hope all is well! I am consistently receiving an error when users attempt to use a VISA card. We are in Live Mode and integrated with CG using pyCheddar and are looking for the correct way to pass street address (which seems to be required for Visa). Is it possibe that pyCheddar cannot do this? I find it hard to believe that a supported API would overlook something so major, but I have yet to get a CG response other than the one below. All other card types work fine. Any insight is appreciated!

There was an error processing the transaction
290: There is one or more missing or invalid required fields.
message: There is one or more missing or invalid required fields.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 25 Feb, 2011 08:20 PM

Hi Gregory -- Yeah, 290 is Authorize.Net's pesky error requiring street address and zip. Have you captured/logged the raw request being sent to CG in pyCheddar? It may be that pyCheddar is ignoring the street address and/or zip.

In case you haven't seen it, more infor about the 290 at the bottom of this article: http://support.cheddargetter.com/kb/getting-started-19/configuring-...

2. 2 Posted by Gregory Zimerma... on 25 Feb, 2011 08:40 PM

Hi Marc - we have indeed tested the raw request and the data is not being passed. However, I have yet to find any documentation on how it SHOULD be passed from us to PyCheddar or from PyCheddar to CG. I am also aware of the article you linked, which was helpful and is what first lead me to understand what was going wrong. We MUST be able to use Visa cards very soon. I have also reached out to Jason Ford (the PyCheddar dev), but was just wondering if you had any insight into how to achieve our goal using PyCheddar. Thanks!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marc Guyer on 25 Feb, 2011 08:47 PM

Alright -- You might consider looking at https://github.com/saaspire/sharpy. I believe Sean based it somewhat on pyCheddar. He also claims to have implemented the API fully and the wrapper has 100% test coverage. If nothing else, reading the code there might help you find out what's wrong with pyCheddar.

Passing in street address and zip is pretty straightforward. You're already passing in subscription[ccNumber]. It's the same... The fields are subscription[ccAddress] and subscription[ccZip]. Documentation here: https://cheddargetter.com/developers#add-customer

You might consider turning on "oldLiveMode* for the time being while you get this sorted out. That mode does not require address/zip.

4. 4 Posted by Gregory Zimerma... on 26 Feb, 2011 01:11 AM

Thanks Marc! While I'd still like to migrate to liveMode as soon as possible, it looks like going into oldLiveMode lets the transaction go through, so that's great! Is there any downside to this method (other than losing out on the address security element)? We will take a look at the other python libraries as well. Thanks again!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Marc Guyer on 26 Feb, 2011 04:52 PM

Is there any downside to this method (other than losing out on the address security element)?

Authorize.Net claims that this method with eventually be disabled. No word on when that might be.

6. 6 Posted by Gregory Zimerma... on 15 Jul, 2011 08:24 PM

Hi Marc, revisiting this thread as I'm implementing Sharpy now. Can you clarify whether, with liveMode enabled via your UI, a charge to a client already in the CG system without an address will validate or not? ie: if i set my AVS to match ZIP or Address, and there is no address for a client in CG, will you send an empty address (or not send address at all?), and should that charge validate? Thanks!

-Greg

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Marc Guyer on 18 Jul, 2011 03:28 PM

Unfortunately, authnet doesn't not provide any flexibility here. If you use liveMode validation, it is used on every new paying customer and every credit card change. So, full AVS data is required for every new paying customer and every credit card charge per VISA's requirements.

8. 8 Posted by Gregory Zimerma... on 18 Jul, 2011 03:52 PM

Hey Marc, that does clear a few things up, but I think my question may have been a bit unclear. When using PyCheddar, I was not able to use liveMode, bc PyCheddar did not pass address to your system, even though I did not have address-match as a requirement in auth.net's AVS settings.

Now, I've implemented Sharpy, and we are requiring address from new customers, but there are old customers that still do not have an address in CG/authnet.

I've left our AVS settings as they were previously, and tested every way I can think of, but am mildly concerned that VISA client charges might not validate when their next recurring charge is triggered. Basically, I need to know whether a blank address field on CG will validate with auth.net given that i'm not requiring a match on auth.net's AVS settings.

If you can verify without me actually making a charge to someone, or otherwise waiting for a charge to fail, I would really appreciate it. I can switch back to oldLiveMode in the interim if you believe that it will not validate.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Marc Guyer on 18 Jul, 2011 05:11 PM

I see now. I can't promise that this is the answer but I suspect that unchecking the "B" option in the Authnet AVS settings is what you want in this case. "B" means reject if "Transaction was submitted without a billing address."

Since you're using liveMode properly for new customers, validation isn't a problem. The concern, as you state, is that recurring transactions for existing customers might decline. This is really an AVS question of the simplest form and unchecking "B" should take care of it. Still, I suggest asking Authnet if this is the only/best solution.

10. 10 Posted by alissa on 19 Jan, 2012 06:24 PM

I need a valid cc number for a visa card any suggestions

11. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 19 Jan, 2012 10:47 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM