Multiple "Pending" Invoices

Dan Kamins

22 Dec, 2010 09:38 PM

This is the second time we've seen this problem: a customer shows two "Pending" invoices in the "Invoice History" tab (and XML). Last time you removed the extra invoice, but never identified how it came to be in the first place.

The new customer:
https://cheddargetter.com/admin/customers/invoice-history/id/13c996...

This is confusing our system and preventing the customer from logging in (looks similar to unpaid balance situation). Please advise.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 23 Dec, 2010 09:40 PM

Dan -- Thanks for reporting this issue again. It's a bit of a mystery as troubleshooting this particular problem is a bit difficult. It looks like the customer was canceled sometime after 10/30 and was then reactivated on 12/7. That action settled the 10/30 invoice and created another one due on 1/7 (expected behavior). As part of that process, another invoice was created due on 12/30. That invoice should not have been created so there's probably a bug there. We'd like to create a simulation of this scenario to troubleshoot and see if we can replicate.

Can you shed any light on the activity? Can you confirm my description? We have some unit tests that simulate the basic scenario which pass repeatedly but there might be some nuance which is causing this that isn't in our tests.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Marc Guyer on 23 Dec, 2010 09:41 PM

In the meantime, I can fix this customer by removing the offending invoice. Would you like that done right away?

3. 3 Posted by Dan Kamins on 23 Dec, 2010 10:57 PM

Yes, please fix this customer.

I'll get our support team to chime on on the history of this customer in order to help you reproduce this case.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Marc Guyer on 24 Dec, 2010 12:44 AM

The offending invoice has been removed. Please let us know if you can shed some light on what happened on 12/7.

5. 5 Posted by bryan heu on 16 Jan, 2011 11:20 PM

So am I understanding this correctly?

If a user was cancelled (automatically or otherwise), and they update their payment information, their subscription is then reactivated by CG, which then charges/settles an unpaid invoice if one exists, and then changes the billing renewal date to reflect the date the payment was made?

So in the scenario in the original message, let's say the user was cancelled on 10/30, then updated their payment details on 12/7. CG was reactivate the subscription and settle the 10/30 invoice that was outstanding. It would then set the next recurring billing date to be 01/07, then 02/07, and so on...

that's cool! (if I am understanding this correctly!)

6. 6 Posted by bryan heu on 18 Jan, 2011 06:46 AM

Sorry, just need a little more clarification.

In the example from the OP, you mentioned that there was an invoice for 10/30 and then the user subscription was cancelled.

Over a month goes by, then on 12/7, they updated their payment and the 10/30 invoice was immediately transacted and settled, then a new invoice was created with a due date of 1/7 (based on the payment details update).

Because in this post, you say that the billing date will be the original invoice date once outstanding invoices are caught up:

http://support.cheddargetter.com/discussions/questions/346-recurrin...

Why would the invoice date reset to 12/7 in the OP's example, but not in the linked post?

TIA.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Marc Guyer on 18 Jan, 2011 10:44 PM

Hi again --

that's cool! (if I am understanding this correctly!)

You are!

Because in this post, you say that the billing date will be the original invoice date once outstanding invoices are caught up:

http://support.cheddargetter.com/discussions/questions/346-recurrin...

Why would the invoice date reset to 12/7 in the OP's example, but not in the linked post?

Are you sure you linked to the intended post?

If the cancellation and the reactivation occur within a billing cycle, then the billing date remains the same. You can override this if you choose by changing the billing date of the current invoice after reactivation.

8. 8 Posted by bryan heu on 18 Jan, 2011 11:09 PM

Oops, I did link to the wrong post, but you basically answered my question. Thanks!

9. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 18 Mar, 2011 02:08 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM