PayPal Pending?

Derreck Nassar

11 Mar, 2012 11:57 PM

I switched over to the more personalized PayPal system that was recently updated and now every PayPal customer I have is listed as "PayPal Pending" which basically means I don't get paid for a willing customer. What is wrong? If someone says "ok I want to subscribe to this site for$x.xx/month" then I should get paid.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 12 Mar, 2012 01:35 AM

Hi Derreck -- A customer's subscription is in "PayPal Pending" until after they log into their paypal account and accept the agreement. Is this happening? Is there a specific customer?

2. 2 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 12 Mar, 2012 12:20 PM

Yes,

Every paypal customer since upgrading my CheddarGetter/PayPal account to the new format is in the "PayPal Pending" status. About 8-10 customers total. How is the best way to fix this? How would a new customer paying via paypal know to click the accept agreement in their account. I was not aware of this.

3. 3 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 12 Mar, 2012 12:22 PM

Blake M
    [email blocked]
    PayPal Standard with Preapproval
    Preapproval ID: PA-0W556400NU051415L

Invoice #2101
    Scheduled to bill on: 2012-03-11 Canceled on: 2012-03-12
    Item Code Date Quantity Each Amount
    Subscription QUIBIDS_REPORT_MONTH 2012-03-11 1 6.99 6.99

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Marc Guyer on 12 Mar, 2012 11:17 PM

Hi Derrek -- You appear to be using the CheddarGetter API to create customers with a PayPal payment method. That process is well documented here: http://support.cheddargetter.com/kb/api-8/using-paypal-with-the-api. Maybe you missed the "Redirect customer to redirectUrl" section.

5. 5 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 13 Mar, 2012 12:17 PM

Is this new? I have not had any issues with this is the past. Ever since switching to the new paypal layout then every paypal customer is in pending status. About 20 customers now.

6. 6 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 13 Mar, 2012 12:26 PM

After testing with a paypal account I see this message in the customer settings. This seems new. I have been accepting paypal customers from a while now. Something change since last saturday.

This customer's subscription is in a pending state. The PayPal "preapproval" has not yet been accepted by the customer. The preapproval request was made 1 minute, 49 seconds ago. A preapproval request is valid for 3 hours. The customer must follow the link below:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ap-preapproval&preap...

7. 7 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 13 Mar, 2012 01:06 PM

When I follow the link I get this message from PayPal: "This preapproval has already been processed. Please visit your PayPal Preapproval Overview to see the details."

When I log into paypal I check the preapproval and I see it, but cheddargetter says pending.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Marc Guyer on 13 Mar, 2012 02:59 PM

Is this new? I have not had any issues with this is the past. Ever since switching to the new paypal layout then every paypal customer is in pending status. About 20 customers now.

THis is not new. The update we made does not change the customer experience. This is fundamentally how PayPal works.

What you've described in comments #7 and #8 does strike me as odd. It may be that CG is not receiving IPNs from your account for some reason. Please check your IPN History in your PayPal account. You can find this by logging into your business PayPal account and click "IPN History" under the "History" menu. You should be able to correlate an IPN with an accepted Preapproval.

In the meantime, I'm going to signup for your service with my personal PayPal account so I might experience this for myself.

9. 9 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 13 Mar, 2012 03:09 PM

Attached is what I see under IPN history. What correlation should I see?

10. 10 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 13 Mar, 2012 03:16 PM

Attached is the IPN info from your account setup. It shows the cheddargetter IPN url.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Marc Guyer on 13 Mar, 2012 03:24 PM

I have confirmed that we have not received the IPN for the Preapproval that I just created. This is the cause of the issue. Status "Disabled" is the problem. It seems that your account is set to disable IPNs. This will need to be changed. I have posted a support request to PayPal regarding this issue. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this quickly. Have you received any emails recently from PayPal with any warnings or otherwise adverse notifications?

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Marc Guyer on 13 Mar, 2012 03:39 PM

From PayPal support:

This is most likely because their IPN's began to fail. In the case where the IPN's are failing for a long duration the IPN service to that account is disabled. The email address on the account is sent several warning emails to inform the account owner that they need to take action.

The account owner can re-enable IPN within their PayPal account at anytime by following this guide below: https://ppmts.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ppdts.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.ph...

If you can reenable IPNs, we should be all set. You might even be able to resend the IPNs to fix the recent accounts.

13. 13 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 13 Mar, 2012 04:05 PM

This is interesting. I just re-enabled it on PayPal, but I have no way to test with my own account because I can't send money from my account to my account. You said in #9, and #12 above says CG should receive the IPN from PayPal, but I show my PayPal as sending IPN to a page on my site. Should it be sending IPN to a CG URL?

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Marc Guyer on 13 Mar, 2012 04:42 PM

If you have a static IPN setup, you should probably remove it. It's likely the reason why PayPal disabled IPNs on your account so it probably doesn't do anything anyway. CheddarGetter uses dynamic IPNs -- that means we specify a special IPN url each time we talk to PayPal over the API.

I'd like to delete the account I setup (comment #9). Once we do that, I can try again with my personal account. I can delete it from CheddarGetter but can you delete it from your system as well?

15. 15 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 13 Mar, 2012 05:07 PM

It looks like the account you created was deleted. I do not show a record of it.

PayPal will not let me have a blank value for the IPN URL.

16. Support Staff 16 Posted by Marc Guyer on 13 Mar, 2012 05:10 PM

It looks like the account you created was deleted. I do not show a record of it.

I unsubscribed from your service and deleted the account in your CheddarGetter account.

PayPal will not let me have a blank value for the IPN URL.

Choose "Do not receive IPN messages (disabled)". This is specific to the static IPN type. This should not affect CheddarGetter's dynamic IPNs.

17. 17 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 13 Mar, 2012 05:16 PM

It looks like the problem may be solved? I had a customer go though as paypal with no problem - payment was received. I have in the past had several "paypal pending" transaction (roughly 1 or of 5 paypal customers or 20%) so I wonder if the problem always existed.

18. Support Staff 18 Posted by Marc Guyer on 13 Mar, 2012 08:11 PM

It looks like the problem may be solved? I had a customer go though as paypal with no problem - payment was received.

Confirmed -- we're now receiving IPNs on your account.

I have in the past had several "paypal pending" transaction (roughly 1 or of 5 paypal customers or 20%) so I wonder if the problem always existed.

That's typical of paypal. Once they realize they need to login to paypal, they give up. That's way we recommend direct CC as the default option and give them the paypal option only if they want it. I see that paypal is the default in your form. I suggest you switch it.

19. 19 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 15 Mar, 2012 03:11 AM

It seems I am still having problems with paypal IPN notifications. If I disable IPN notifications then cheddar getter does not receive the the IPN and my customer is not valid. If I enable IPN then the default IPN URL is for my old paypal system and cheddargetter occasionally gets the IPN and I lose business.

If the cheddargetter IPN are dynamic the I cannot enter an IPN for my paypal account. And if I cannot remove the current IPN then I am stuck which is unacceptable.

It seems there is something that needs to be configured with paypal to properly work with ceddargetter paypal payments. I do not know what this is, but I need the issue resolved ASAP or I will need to find another customer billing system that will properly handle my paypal customers.

20. 20 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 15 Mar, 2012 03:16 AM

Here are 2 IPN snapshots with 2 different IPN URLs. Why would Paypal pick and choose?

21. 21 Posted by adam on 15 Mar, 2012 01:56 PM

Hi Derreck,

I'm going to call Paypal to see if they can disable your static IPN and leave our dynamic IPN active.

In the meantime, if you do what you did yesterday it will likely fix this temporarily again.

Adam

22. 22 Posted by adam on 15 Mar, 2012 03:18 PM

I spoke to someone there but they just explained how to temporarily disable the IPN like you have already done. I'm working on it, will post back as soon as I hear from them.

23. 23 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 15 Mar, 2012 05:39 PM

Thank you guys for looking into this. Yes it seems when I turn off the IPN and then turn it back on It seems to get it working again, but then it will just occasionally select the old static IPN URL from time to time causing me to lose customers.

24. 24 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 16 Mar, 2012 01:31 PM

PayPal has recently sent me this message:

Hello Derreck Nassar,

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

http://www.quibidsreport.com/ipn.apsx

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

Thanks,

PayPal

25. 25 Posted by adam on 16 Mar, 2012 04:29 PM

Hi Derreck,

I've tried to get Paypal to remove the IPN completely but they wouldn't really talk to me since it is not my account, and the rep I was talking with wouldn't give me a direct email address or join this discussion.

I can either try again, and use your Paypal account information, or you can call them directly.

The best way I've found to get through to a human is actually by calling their collections department and asking for a technical agent who can help with IPN problems:
    http://gethuman.com/phone-number/PayPal/customer-service--67/

Adam

26. Support Staff 26 Posted by Marc Guyer on 19 Mar, 2012 08:39 PM

Hi again Derreck -- It looks like you've had a successful PayPal signup as recently as 2012-03-17 21:50:27 UTC. Were you able to resolve the disabled IPN situation with PayPal support? Please let me know.

In the meantime, I'm going to follow up with PayPal developer support to see if I can get any more information from them on this issue.

27. Support Staff 27 Posted by Marc Guyer on 19 Mar, 2012 08:49 PM

I was reviewing the IPN interface in PayPal. It seems that you can do two things:

1. Set a current IPN to "Do not receive IPN messages (Disabled)" under the edit button.
    2. Click the "Turn Off IPN" button

If I'm not mistaken, you want No. 2. It appears that this option will simply remove your IPN but not interfere with CheddarGetter's dynamic IPNs.

28. 28 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 19 Mar, 2012 10:11 PM

I have always had successful signups via paypal/CG, but occasionally a few would not clear and be listed as "PayPal Pending". This appears to have happened again yesterday with the sign customer that registered. So there still is a problem.

I have "Turned off IPN" like above which cleared the IPN URL, but I cannot enable IPN without a URL (paypal4-5.jpg).

I did test with my own paypal, and I do see the IPN going to CG with my IPN turned off (paypal6.jpg), so it looks like PayPal defaulted to the CG IPN. I cannot fully test without another paypal account though.

29. Derreck Nassar closed this discussion on 19 Mar, 2012 10:12 PM.

30. Derreck Nassar re-opened this discussion on 19 Mar, 2012 10:14 PM

31. 29 Posted by Derreck Nassar on 19 Mar, 2012 10:14 PM

I accidentally put 2 of the same screenshots above.

32. Support Staff 30 Posted by Marc Guyer on 19 Mar, 2012 10:28 PM

I have "Turned off IPN" like above which cleared the IPN URL, but I cannot enable IPN without a URL (paypal4-5.jpg).

It's not necessary for you to enable IPNs. Just turn yours off. CG creates them dynamically for you. If you have a static one enabled and it doesn't respond properly, it causes PayPal to auto-disable all IPNs. The result should look like paypal4.jpg.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM