Set Item Quantity in Middle of Billing Cycle

William Chase

17 Jan, 2012 03:32 AM

Hello, I have a question about Set Item Quantity. I'm using the API to update a customers quantity of a trackable item. If we are in the middle of their billing cycle and we update the quantity of a trackable item what happens. Are they billed a pro-rated amount right now or is this just added on to their next bill? If it is added on to the next bill are they charged for the time between when they added this trackable item and the time they get the bill?

Thanks...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marc Guyer on 18 Jan, 2012 12:10 AM

Hi Will -- Tracked items are never prorated. I think the easiest way to think of this is that the customer is charged on their invoice date under the item and plan config as of that date according to their item quantities. So, they are billed overage, if any, as of that moment.

2. 2 Posted by William Chase on 20 Jan, 2012 03:01 AM

I'm still a little fuzz on how this works. So let's say I have a package that costs $20 a month and there is one possible trackable item that costs $10 per month. If they add this trackable item in the middle of the month, I want they to pay the for the half of the month that they use that trackable item ($5 for half the month). Is there a way I can do that?

Thanks...

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marc Guyer on 20 Jan, 2012 02:42 PM

No, tracked item charges do not prorate. In the scenario you describe, the customer would be charged $20 for the flat monthly and $10 for the item on the bill date assuming that the customer had an overage of (1) for the $10 item as of the bill date.

You might consider issuing a custom credit to achieve this. In other words, if a customer's billing cycle is from June 1 to July 1 and the customer adds the $10 item on June 15, add a custom credit on the invoice for -$5. In this case, they will have a charge for $20 for the flay monthly, $10 for the item and a -$5 credit for a net amount of $25.

4. Marc Guyer closed this discussion on 29 Jan, 2012 11:07 AM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM