Problems creating a new customer

Olga Christiansen

02 Nov, 2018 07:22 AM

Hi,

When I create a new customer, I am forced by the system to choose payment method between External payment and Credit card via Stripe. I can't choose the last because I don't possess credit card information of my customer. When I choose External payment, then the system registers the first bill (at least the first, maybe the next ones too) as payed.

Can I create a new customer and choose a subscription for him by myself, so that the customer gets a bill and has to choose payment method himself?

Thank you in advance

Best regards
Olga Christiansen

LeadDoubler A/S

1. 1 Posted by Marcela Poffald on 02 Nov, 2018 03:33 PM

Hi Olga,

Just to clarify, if you have a pricing plan that's set to bill on signup, Cheddar will transact the first invoice as soon as the customer record is created. This means payment details are required to sign customers up for a plan that bills on signup. I see that your Cheddar product account has several pricing plans that bill on signup, so I wanted to make sure to make that clear. :)

If you'd like to keep this behavior for the first invoice on those pricing plans, you'll need to have credit card details available when signing up customers. The most straightforward way to accomplish this would be to refer your customers to your hosted page, and they can sign themselves up and provide their card information without the need for any workarounds on your part.

If you'd rather not use the hosted page, you'll need to make some changes to your configuration in Cheddar to allow your customers to be signed up without needing to have payment info immediately. First, make sure that the pricing plan you're putting them on isn't set to bill on signup, so that Cheddar doesn't try to transact their first invoice immediately. Second, you'll want to go into your Product Settings (found under Configuration>Product Settings) and make sure the box next to "Require payment method on paid subscriptions" is unchecked. These settings will allow you to create a customer record in Cheddar without needing to have credit card details immediately (although you will need to have them in the system before their first invoice is due).

If you go the second route, you may want to enable Bill Reminder emails in your Customer Communications settings (here), so that customers will be notified of their upcoming bill. You can customize this email to let customers know they need to enter payment information, if necessary. Since you have a hosted page configured, by default this email will also contain a link to where customers can update their payment information. You can even set this email type to be disabled after the initial bill, so you only remind them the first time.

When I choose External payment, then the system registers the first bill (at least the first, maybe the next ones too) as payed.

When you use an external payment method for a customer, Cheddar assumes that the payments are being processed by a system that's completely external to our platform. Since it has no way of knowing when a customer has actually paid using an external system, it automatically marks those invoices as paid. As you've noticed, this payment method isn't the best fit for your use case, but I wanted to go ahead and explain how it works so hopefully it'll be a little clearer going forward. :)

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Marcela

2. 2 Posted by Olga Christians... on 05 Nov, 2018 10:44 AM

Hi Marcela,

thank you for explanation. It helped.

I can create new customers without predefined payment method now.

Since it's the first time I'm trying it, I would like to know what is to be done next. Now after I created a new customer and assigned him a specific subscription, will CheddarGetter automatically send him an invoice by email, so that he will be able to follow a link, choose a payment method and pay? What about log-in data? Will the customer receive login and password via email?

Best regards
    Olga Christiansen

LeadDoubler A/S

3. 3 Posted by Marcela Poffald on 05 Nov, 2018 03:26 PM

Hi Olga,

Glad I could help!

Since it's the first time I'm trying it, I would like to know what is to be done next. Now after I created a new customer and assigned him a specific subscription, will CheddarGetter automatically send him an invoice by email, so that he will be able to follow a link, choose a payment method and pay?

Cheddar will send emails to your customers according to the configuration you have set up in your product account. To see which emails you have enabled, you can visit the "Customer Communications" page here (you can also find it under the "Configuration" menu). Right now, it looks like you have Cheddar set up to send all email types except for Bill Reminder emails. To toggle different email types, just check or uncheck the box next to that email type and click "Save Changes" at the bottom.

You can customize and preview each email type by selecting it from the menu on the left-hand side of the page. :)

What about log-in data? Will the customer receive login and password via email?

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't understand. Are you referring to login credentials for your application, or for your hosted page? Access to your application is not managed by Cheddar, so if login credentials are required to access parts of your application or the customer's hosted page, your app will need to handle that process after a customer signs up. If you're referring to the hosted page, by default, a customer's hosted page won't require them to log in, because their personalized hosted page link contains their customer code and key for access. This link is provided in outgoing emails from Cheddar.

I recommend checking out this section of our knowledge base article on hosted pages to learn more about your options for customer management with hosted pages. If you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can clear up, please let me know!

Marcela

4. Marcela Poffald closed this discussion on 12 Nov, 2018 04:02 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Cheddar please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

28 Mar, 2024 10:45 PM
24 Jan, 2024 08:33 AM
11 Jan, 2024 07:13 AM